Job Standard for Business Consultant
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Business Consultant Overview
- Work Type: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75555
- Pay Grade: P6
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Management Consulting
Provides consulting, training, and bid-matching assistance to small businesses to help gain access to federal, state and local government contracts.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.
Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years experience or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to manage client portfolio, strong organizational and time-management skills
- Familiarity with small business procurement issues
- Ability to present and train to groups
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
60% of Time the Business Consultant must:
- Meet with clients to determine their needs, abilities and government contract readiness
- Provide advice and technical assistance as needed
- Arrange bid-matching services to provide clients with procurement opportunities
- Design and deliver training programs within the state
- Participate in training event as an instructor or moderator as appropriate
- Contact potential sources of referrals and with prospective groups of clients at meetings and conferences
- Develop, coordinate and deliver training workshops and events that increase knowledge of government contracting
35% of Time the Business Consultant
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Business Consultant
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Ability to travel statewide
Business Consultant, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.