Job Standard for Business Systems, Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#.
Business Systems, Manager Overview
- Work Type: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75269
- Pay Grade: P7
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Manager
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Business Systems Analysis & Support
Responsible for the development, administration and management of all aspects of unique systems required by various campus departments, including design, procurement and implementation. Serves as subject matter expert on assigned system(s) and lead the team by sharing expertise, ensuring policies and procedures are followed, assigning projects and balancing the team’s workload. and has customer service responsibility for ensuring timely, accurate and complete delivery of the team’s projects.
Provides direct supervision typically to professionals or skilled technical employees at the entry or intermediate level. Functions as advisor to unit and administration and sets goals and objectives for team members for achievement of operational results. Analyzes and resolves problems through drawing from prior experiences. Interprets policies (e.g., fiscal management, HR, contracts and grants, resource management in defined areas) and demonstrates solid subject matter knowledge. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and policies to determine appropriate action. Supervises staff to assure accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial and human) in compliance with departmental goals and objectives.
Bachelor’s and 2 years of professional experience is similar type of work.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience in managing and coordinating multiple projects and tasks including setting priorities and meeting deadlines
- Strong technical analysis and trouble-shooting skills
- High level attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and customer service skills, including written and verbal communication and the ability to facilitate meetings/conversations.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices.
60% of Time the Business Systems, Manager must:
- Thoroughly understand assigned system structure, how it interfaces with other University systems and monitor quality and timing of all projects to ensure that they support various University initiatives.
- Liaison between business and technical areas.
- Research issues related to system issues and provide direction for timely issue resolution. Responsible for testing of system fixes/patches. Upgrades including writing test scripts, executing test scripts to ensure no issues will be introduced to the system as a result of a patch or bundle.
- Investigate, analyze and resolve issues encountered by users.
- Maintain current knowledge of software updates, new functionality or enhancements to be able to make future state recommendations.
- Supervise and train team members, ensuring tools and training needed to support projects are available to team members.
- Work with report end users to determine data requirements, design output format, validate results for both ad hoc and scheduled reports for internal use.
35% of Time the Business Systems, Manager
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Business Systems, Manager
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
May be required to travel with overnight stays for training.
Business Systems, Senior Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.