Job Standard for Business Systems, Senior Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#.
Business Systems, Senior Manager Overview
- Work Type: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75659
- Pay Grade: P9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior Manager
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Business Systems Analysis & Support
Position supervises other mid-level Systems Analysts positions, who provide production support and maintenance activities for systems. Person in this role provides advanced trouble-shooting. Complex issues that cannot be resolved by a front line management systems personnel are referred to this individual for advanced diagnosis to determine the appropriate corrective action. Provides training and backup support for the data stewards. Coordinates to identify and implement strategies to increase efficiencies in the daily operations and provide configuration expertise for the implementation of new functionality.
Spends the majority of time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of subordinate staff. Manages experienced professionals who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with autonomy. Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial, and often physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives. Ensures subordinate supervisors and professionals adhere to defined internal controls with a focus on policy and strategy implementation. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets and requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area.
Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience, including 1 year of managerial experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize ERP systems
- Knowledge and understanding of relational database systems and SQL tools s
- Experience with the following software applications: Google Suite, MS Excel, MS Word, MS Access, MS Visio, MS Project, Snagit and XML Publisher.
- Experience as a system or business analyst.
- Excellent problem solving skills with the ability to anticipate and provide solutions that result in gained efficiencies, improved customer service and more efficient business processes.
- Detail oriented and demonstrate the ability to take ownership and complete assigned tasks.
- Excellent communication (Oral and written), interpersonal, organization and time management skills
- Ability to maintain a professional attitude amidst difficult and stressful times and demonstrate a sense of ethics while performing daily tasks.
- Ability to determine appropriate actions in relation to supervision, mentoring, providing growth opportunities and staff accountability.
- Ability to determine when to consult a technical resource, a peer analyst resource, or a functional lead from the end-user group.
- Knowledge of or experience in a higher education or government organization working with ERP systems.
60% of Time the Business Systems, Senior Manager must:
- Hire, train, direct, mentor and motivate staff in daily work and on projects and complete annual evaluations. Ensure ongoing training and cross training, development and growth of staff by providing learning opportunities
- Provide advanced expertise for technical support for modules used by departments to manage the daily operation.
- Ensure integrity of data integration between systems modules.
- Identify when issues require assistance. Complete required documentation, including submitting tickets. Administer security.
- Development of thorough testing plans for a variety of testing purposes including application testing of patch sets, software patch sets, service packs and unit/integration testing, application upgrades and implementation of new functionality.
- Coordinate with back office end users. As production critical issues occur, this position will test the technical resolution, in a test environment, before it can be introduced into the production environment.
- Monitor and ensure support requests are assigned to the appropriate resources, follow the established prioritization guidelines, are completed and communicated to the end user. Analyze turnaround time of service requests against benchmarks and take appropriate corrective action when targets are not being met.
- Provide project management for implementation of new functionality including comprising projected tasks, assignments, due dates, dependencies, accomplishments and anticipated needs.
- Use defined measurement, analysis and evaluation methods to accurately identify and document process improvements.
- Coordinate communication regarding scheduled and unanticipated system outages with peer departments in order to provide complete and relevant information.
35% of Time the Business Systems, Senior Manager
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Business Systems, Senior Manager
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
The person must be able to attend all day meetings. The person must be able to hear adequately to give presentations, converse in meetings and one on one and hear on the telephone.
May be required to travel with overnight stays for training.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.