Job Standard for Buyer, Associate
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name, ID# and PCN#.
Buyer, Associate Overview
- Person Group: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75252
- Pay Grade: P3
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Associate
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Purchasing
To monitor and ensure the designated categories are in-stock year round and during peak selling times.
Entry-level professional with limited or no prior experience to contribute on a project or work team. Incumbent learns to use professional concepts to resolve problems of limited scope and complexity under close supervision while achieving day-to-day objectives. Works on developmental assignments that are initially routine in nature, requiring limited judgment and decision making. This level is typically focused on self development. Requires theoretical knowledge through specific education and training.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent relevant professional experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understand sales reports and the impact on current and future orders
- Work with multiple people across business units to meet future and/or urgent deadlines
- Maintain high levels of communication and cooperation with buying and operational counterparts
- Perform detailed work under pressure
- Summarize and present large amounts of information to groups of people
- Provide excellent attention to detail and identify key information within large sets of data
- Working knowledge of general retail practices and merchandise planning.
- Proven ability of dependably meeting goals in a timely and accurate fashion and work well under periods of pressure.
- Assist in creating and maintaining an accurate annual budget for the general merchandise business
60 % of Time Buyer, Associate will:
- Purchase products for resale at locations and concessions; negotiate pricing, terms, and delivery with vendors
- Oversee merchandise assortment including vendor and product selection
- Establish guidelines for merchandising plans and retail pricing
- Process and enter all purchase orders in the current inventory system
- Monitors budget and makes adjustments to buying plans as needed
- Monitors receiving and transferring of product
- Train, direct, supervise, hire and evaluate student employees
35% of Time Buyer, Associate:
- Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Buyer, Associate:
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Travel not required
Buyer Intermediate, Buyer Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.