Job Standard for Buyer, Level 3
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 01536
- Pay Grade: J
- FLSA Status: Non Exempt
- Career Level: Level 3
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Purchasing
To purchase supplies, services, material, and equipment for a department; research and perform value analysis on products, services and equipment; perform related work.
Regularly works on tasks that are varied and complex. Applies full range and job knowledge; frequently adapts procedures, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet specialized needs; may serve as lead; performs broad and/or focused assignments under general supervision; originality and ingenuity are often required to help establish procedures in functional area; relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish assigned tasks.
Some knowledge of: purchasing methods and procedures; life-cycle costing principles.
Experience: operating a personal computer; preparing specifications for bid; applying value analysis criteria to products and materials purchased.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Knowledge of business strategies, practices and the ability to determine the value of goods or services
60% of Time the Buyer must:
- Determines product, equipment and service requirements; determines methods of acquisition; prepares specifications, selects vendors and requests written bids/telephone quotes on purchases within delegated authority; reviews and evaluates bids, records bid information including vendor price, payment terms, delivery; issues awards; may prepare bid and RFPs that may include value analysis, life cycle costing and weighted value procedures for purchases that are processed through Division of Purchasing; may review, evaluate and recommend bid award to Division of Purchasing; advises users about product and service availability and specification preparation; advises users on legal requirements and policies and procedures established for procurement; resolves vendor-user conflicts; may negotiate janitorial, maintenance, or photocopy contracts; may obtain and issue emergency purchase authorizations.
- Conducts research to identify products or equipment for potential department use; requests information about products and services; may attend trade shows; meets with vendors to receive product and service information; performs value analysis; analyzes quality, price, source of supply, delivery date, shipping charges and final cost; performs life-cycle costing including analyzing equipment long-term maintenance and expenses to determine residual value, and related operating expense.
35% of Time the Buyer
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Buyer
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Willingness and physical ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to bend, stoop, lift, and move objects weighing up to 50 pounds; work in dusty and dirty conditions; do minor vehicle maintenance and handle tires; clean and maintain a safe working environment.
Not applicable for Buyer
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.