Job Standard for Buyer, Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name, ID# and PCN#.
Buyer, Senior Overview
- Person Group: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75253
- Pay Grade: P7
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Purchasing
To provide technical experience in large-scale buying, contract administration, specification writing related to professional procurement responsibilities, including acquiring commodities, services and materials for various campus departments with diverse needs.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, plus 5 years related buying experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to maintain a professional attitude amidst difficult and stressful times and who demonstrates a sense of ethics while performing daily tasks.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of public sector purchasing and contracting, to include methods of purchasing by specifications and competitive bidding and knowledge of all federal, state, and local laws governing same.
- Ability to interpret and apply universal purchasing principles and procedures.
- Knowledge of computerized purchasing control systems, practices and methods of procurement.
- Ability to develop specifications by form and technical content for a variety of materials, services, and equipment; determine suitability, adaptability, and utility of items; analyze and evaluate the relative merits of competitive commodities and their prices.
- Ability to consolidate information, draw conclusions and present in an objective, factual manner. Ability to analyze situations accurately and develop effective courses of action.
- Ability to read comprehensively and speak and write effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work: suppliers, customers, fellow employees, and the public.
- Ability to adapt rapidly to changing market conditions and/or customer needs
60 % of Time Buyer, Senior will:
- Responsible for the acquisition of diverse set of commodities, services and materials for campus departments.
- Documentation, development, issuance and analysis of bid specifications, and evaluate bid packages for accuracy and compliance.
- Manages a full workload of highly technical and complicated purchasing activities.
- Ensure compliance with all city, State, and Federal laws, codes, and regulations, interpret purchasing policy and procedures, brief assigned staff, Purchasing management and University department heads and provide customer service for campus purchasers as requested.
- Survey and research product information and market trends with responsibility for commodity purchases involving large and/or difficult expenditures of a technical and/or complex nature.
- Investigate sources of supply; interview and correspond with vendors or their agents. Research and assist in the development of pricing for University department planning purposes.
- Develop bid documents, review, and analyze technical specifications and product standards for complex equipment purchases and service contracts; direct the selection of interested and qualified vendors
- Conduct pre-bid conferences to address concerns and provide direction to interested bidders; analyze bid packages to ensure compliance to specifications, completeness of supporting documentation, accuracy, and compliance with applicable rules and regulations;
- Negotiate and award contract; sign purchase orders; and appraise the soundness of judgment exercised in the making of major awards.
- Perform contract administration to ensure vendor compliance, direct corrective action as required, including negotiations to correct performance, price adjustments or contract terminations. Review and approve vendor invoices for payment.
35% of Time Buyer, Senior:
- Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Buyer, Senior:
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Travel for this position may be required
Senior Manager for Purchasing, Director of Purchasing
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.