Job Standard for Buyer Trainee
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Buyer Trainee Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 01535
- Pay Grade: H
- FLSA Status: Non Exempt
- Career Level: Level 1
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Purchasing
In a training capacity, to learn to purchase supplies, services, material, and equipment for a department; research and perform value analysis on products and equipment; perform related work.
Applies basic skills while developing some specialized skills in procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization; performs routine and/or repetitive tasks; limited decision making required; generally works under close supervision; has no or limited experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions.
Some knowledge of: purchasing procedures.
Experience: operating a personal computer; interpreting and applying laws, rules and regulations; preparing detailed written material; collecting and recording information.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
- Ability to communicate to others to convey information effectively
60% of Time the Buyer Trainee must:
- Determines product, equipment and service requirements; determines methods of acquisition; prepares specifications, selects vendors and requests written bids/telephone quotes on purchases within delegated authority; reviews and evaluates bids, records bid information including vendor price, payment terms, delivery; issues awards; may prepare bids and RFPs that may include value analysis, life cycle costing and weighted value procedures for purchases that are processed through Division of Purchasing; may review, evaluate and recommend bid award to Division of Purchasing; advises users about product and service availability and specification preparation; advises users about legal requirements and policies and procedures established for procurement; resolves vendor-user conflicts; may obtain and issue emergency purchase authorizations.
- Conducts research to identify products or equipment for potential department use; requests information about products and services; meets with vendors to receive product and service information; performs value analysis; analyzes quality, price, source of supply, delivery date, shipping charges and final cost; performs life-cycle costing including analyzing equipment long-term maintenance and expenses to determine residual value and related operating expense; may attend trade shows.
35% of Time the Buyer Trainee
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Buyer Trainee
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Willingness and physical ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to bend, stoop, lift, and move objects weighing up to 50 pounds; work in dusty and dirty conditions; do minor vehicle maintenance and handle tires; clean and maintain a safe working environment.
Not applicable for Buyer Trainee
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.