Job Standard for Buyer
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75273
- Pay Grade: P6
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Purchasing
To procure an interesting variety of goods and services for the vibrant Boise State University community, as well as interacting with end users and vendors to ensure adherence to University, State and Federal regulations.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, plus 2 years professional experience in purchasing or 4 years related buying experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Provide customer service reflective of the controls, ethics and integrity of the University.
- Knowledge of University policies and state and federal regulations related to purchasing and procurement activities.
- Knowledge and skills in utilizing common business software to complete job duties.
- Understand complex business transactions/contracts and demonstrate skills in innovative, strategic, and analytical thinking to analyze and solve problems consistent with department goals and objectives.
- Ability to overcome obstacles and maintain momentum on assignments.
- Demonstrate availability and willingness to go above and beyond.
- Exercise good judgement and make decisions independently.
- Adjust to changing priorities, and develop new insights into situations.
- Apply innovative solutions to make departmental improvements.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written skills; communicate effectively.
- Establish strong working relationships with department contacts and vendors.
- Ability to participate as a team member to improve processes to satisfy University and department goals.
- Ability to provide and accept constructive feedback.
60% of Time the Buyer must:
- Attend trade shows to interact with vendors on behalf of department. Meet with vendors regarding contracts, new sources of supply, etc.
- Locate potential vendors for solicitations, supplies.
- Communicate regularly and efficiently, verbally and in writing. Initiate and facilitate meetings.
- Interpret, and explain complex policies, procedures, instructions, contract requirements, and applicable laws and regulations.
- Anticipate and identify the needs of campus and vendors and assist with solutions.
- Consult with and advise end users on specification and solicitation process and timetables. Resolve quote (terms, FOB, etc.) and delivery issues.
- Plan and organize own work and priorities of daily activities with attention to detail in order to meet deadlines.
- Accurately create POs with appropriate terms (state contract, solicitation, negotiated agreement), with attention to accurate record keeping, and in compliance with policy and regulations.
- Complete ERP Purchasing testing by assigned deadlines.
- Determine most appropriate purchase method depending on dollar amount, exemption criteria, etc.
- Contract Management including contract review, negotiating terms by working with legal and end user, obtaining signatures, maintaining file at renewal or archiving at termination.
35% of Time the Buyer
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Buyer
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Travel for this position is required
Buyer Senior, Senior Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.