Job Standard for Campus and Public Safety Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Assistant Director of Campus and Public Safety Overview
- Person Group: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75783
- Pay Grade: P11
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Director
- Family: Safety/Security
- Function: Safety/Security Services
To assist with planning, organizing, promoting and maintaining a safe and secure campus environment. Provides leadership to ensure the efficient operations of all functional units of the department; assists with the development and implementation of departmental policies and procedures; provides direction in the enforcement of all laws and university policy and procedures and assisting with the development of departmental goals, objectives, and strategic initiatives.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, plus 8 years experience including 5 years management experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of law enforcement and higher education protocols/procedures
- Leadership and management skills sufficient to lead staff operating on a 24/7 schedule.
- Knowledge of law enforcement and public safety strategies
- Skilled in supervision and management of others
- Understanding and appreciation for current student issues. Ability to relate to and interact effectively with diverse populations.
- Skilled in strategic planning and public speaking
- Strong background in emergency management.
- Ability to administer budgets and develop resources
- Ability to make appropriate, strategic decisions and solve a variety of complex problems
- Ability to build positive relationships with campus partners, and community members
60 % of Time Assistant Director of Campus and Public Safety will:
- Provide leadership to ensure the efficient operations of all functional units of the department
- Assist with the development and implementation of departmental policies and procedures
- Assist with selection of personnel; reviews and resolves disciplinary issues, provide oversight of administrative records
- Develops and maintains relationships that nurture the trust of the campus community; establishes a diverse community network; participates in crime prevention programming and works with various groups and organizations for the purpose of planning special events and activities; establishes problem solving community policing initiatives that promotes relationship building.
- Manages the intelligence network and issues related to law enforcement issues on campus.
- Provide direction in the enforcement of all laws and university policy and procedures and assisting with the development of departmental goals, objectives, and strategic initiatives
- Supervise the coordination and planning process of security services
- Oversee multiple units within the department
- Conduct threat assessment for the University
- Serve as a permanent member of the CARE Team, and liaison with local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies
- Administers budgets and develops resources as a signatory officer
- Direct the department administrative, support, and special service functions within the department
- Represent the department at meetings, training programs, conferences
35% of Time Assistant Director of Campus and Public Safety:
- Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Assistant Director of Campus and Public Safety:
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Travel may be required
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.