Job Standard for Career Services Specialist, Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Career Services Specialist, Senior Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75337
- Pay Grade: P6
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Student Services
- Function: Career Planning & Placement
Develop and implement career services activities within the university, assisting with overall planning and operational activities of the program. Coordinates job placement with employers, conduct in-progress assessment of student success in the work environment, and evaluate the total work experience
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience plus 5 years experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of various industry hiring standards
- Ability to relate to a diverse student population
- Ability to work in high pressure situations
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to conduct business with attention to ethical considerations, University policies and procedures, employment law and accreditation guidelines
- Excellent customer service skills
60% of Time the Career Services Specialist, Senior must:
- Coach and advise students on career planning, job seeking skills and industry trends to effectively prepare them to gain employment upon graduation
- Provide ongoing feedback to students with respect to individual job search skills
- Assist students with identifying areas requiring further training or knowledge and support the development of personal and professional development plans, including co-op and internship opportunities
- Ensure accurate data entry and reporting of all activity into the career development database, including observation notes, career advancements/employments and job development activity, etc
- Respond to job opening requests by connecting qualified students and alumni with employers
- Develop and implement experiential learning programs and opportunities with local, national and global employers
- Represent university to external groups to promote the admissions, alumni relations and placement goals of the college
- Contact potential employers to promote placement activities for the college
35% of Time the Career Services Specialist, Senior
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Career Services Specialist, Senior
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Career Services Specialist, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.