Job Standard for Chief Financial Officer, Department
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Chief Financial Officer, Department Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75211
- Pay Grade: P12
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Director
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Finance
Responsible for administering, organizing, and supervising business operation support functions.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.
Bachelor’s degree and 8 years experience including 5 years managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to organize and motivate staff
- Knowledge and experience of accounting procedures and practices
- Experience in financial analysis and budget management.
- Working knowledge and experience of accounting procedures and practices,
- with demonstrated experience in financial report and budget preparation.
- Experience in cash management and fund accounting practices.
- Experience in use and analysis of accounting software and applications.
- This position is expected to have the ability to generate, cultivate and maintain business relationships with corporate community, maintain a high level of
- communication skills and the ability to work well with many people.
- Strong leadership and communication skills
60% of Time the Chief Financial Officer must:
- Direct financial operations, organizational operations, projects, or services.
- Oversee and manage the department’s contract management system
- Ensure compliance with University policies in all areas of business operations
- Develop, implement, and monitor policies and procedures to ensure adequate internal controls for business operations
- Maintain integration and communication with each associated campus function and department
- Oversee the completion of all internal and external audits
- Manage special projects as assigned that impact the department’s business operations
- Serve as a member of the senior management team in developing the overall direction for the department
35% of Time the Chief Financial Officer, Department
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Chief Financial Officer, Department
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Chief Financial Officer
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.