Job Standard for Communications, Assistant Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Communications, Assistant Director Overview
- People Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75562
- Pay Grade: P10
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Assistant Director
- Family: Communications and Marketing
- Function: General Communications
This position will lead the creation and execution of top-level university efforts to reach key audiences through all available marketing means – and employ analytics and follow-up research to determine which ways provide the most return for a limited marketing budget. The position has proactive responsibility for developing and driving communication strategies.
Manages a large team typically consisting of both experienced professionals and subordinate Managers. Focuses on tactical and operational plans with short to mid term focus; significant responsibility to achieve broadly stated goals through subordinate Managers. Determines objectives, directs programs, develops strategies and policies, manages human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a high degree of autonomy. Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead a project or program teams in one dept/job family. Proactively assesses risk to establish systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Determines campus strategies for a program with campus wide impact.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and 8 years experience including 3 years managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to manage and lead multiple employees
- Superior ability to think strategically and creatively; to develop, articulate and lead the implementation of long and short-term plans to meet goals and objectives.
- Experience in marketing with demonstrable results
- Experience with and the ability to manage staff performance to meet expected outcomes
- Ability to meet long term project deadlines while adapting to immediate demands
60 % of Time Communications, Assistant Director will:
- Evaluate markets and media through research, focus groups and other methods to continually identify new opportunities to get key university messages to key audiences.
- Determine sustainable and effective ways to work with divisions and departments across campus to help them build high-quality, targeted, affordable and on-brand efforts to reach their specific needs within the university’s overall marketing strategy.
- Secure affordable and effective marketing opportunities for the university by developing solid relationships with available outlets and a continually expanding understanding of the options becoming available.
- Ensure industry best practices and outcomes that support the goals, brand, image, and mission of the University across all media channels.
- Help define and execute social media efforts, with key audiences in mind.
- This position makes decisions on a daily basis regarding which campaigns and marketing pieces will best advance the university’s strategic initiatives and priorities.
- Manage workflow, priorities and multiple projects at once.
- Directly oversee a team of communications specialists and media relations experts.
- Create, lead and oversee strategies for communication and marketing
35% of Time Communications, Assistant Director:
Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Communications, Assistant Director:
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Not applicable for Communications, Assistant Director
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and /or skills required. This job description is not an employment agreement and /or an expressed or implied contract. Management has the right to alter this job description at any time without notice.