Job Standard for Communications Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Communications Manager Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75647
- Pay Grade: P8
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Communications & Marketing
- Function: General Communications
This position will direct and execute strategic communications and marketing that promotes the mission and goals of the department or college. Identify growth opportunities and serve as a strategic leader. Produce a broad range of internal and external communications.
Experienced professional who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field; independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; possesses broad job knowledge; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions.
Typically, a Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years relevant experience or equivalent professional experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to strategically lead communications efforts that advance the goals of the organization
- Demonstrable ability to translate complicated ideas into complete, easy-to-understand narratives and presentations.
- Excellence in both writing on deadline and directing and editing other writers
- Supervisory and leadership skills
- Ability to meet project deadlines while adapting to immediate demands
60% of Time the Communications Manager must:
- Collaborate with leadership on developing and implementing communication and marketing strategies both external and internal. Direct special projects that enhance the reputation, visibility and understanding of department
- Develop and refine promotions, marketing materials and communications to ensure consistency and appeal
- Establish relationships and collaborate across campus and community and regularly inform on activities and accomplishments.
- Facilitate new directions and initiatives within the department, including preparation, editing, exchanging information and working on teams.
- Direct the hiring of communications staff and oversee their daily activities.
35% of Time the Communications Manager
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Communications Manager
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Campus and various external sites, office environment
Not applicable for Communications Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.