Job Standard for Communications/Publications, Senior
View in Google Docs/Download
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Communications/Publications, Senior Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75168
- Pay Grade: P8
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Communications & Marketing
- Function: General Communications
To lead efforts to tell the Boise State story in all forms, including alumni magazines, campus community outreach, top-level marketing on BoiseState.edu and more.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and 5 years experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrable ability to manage and lead a staff and work with writers, marketers, designers, photographers and other creative storytellers.
- A proven track record of time management and self-directed writing and editing projects.
- Experience working with online publications.
- A strong comfort level with social media and computer applications.
- Strong verbal, written, organization and presentation skills
- Ability to provide creative solutions to problems
- Experience: developing and publishing communications to diverse constituent groups in a large or complex organization.
60% of Time the Communications/Publications, Senior must:
- Write and edit key university copy for internal and external audiences; oversee communications specialists within the Office of Communications and Marketing; coordinate with Visual Services, Creative Services, the Web Strategy team and campus partners to build compelling stories that advance the mission and goals of Boise State.
- Help build the narrative structure that underlies all communications and storytelling from Boise State University, from media outreach to printed materials to online content of all kinds.
- Serve as the editor of FOCUS magazine online and in print, and of the university’s campus news site; lead production of key publications including Facts and Figures, Visitor’s Guide and more.
- Play a key role in the team that leads the university’s efforts to communicate Boise State’s story through our own publications and websites, traditional and digital advertising, social media and multimedia, media relations, community relations, web strategy and more.
35% of Time the Communications/Publications, Senior
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Communications/Publications, Senior
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Communications/Publications, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.