Job Standard for Communications Specialist Associate
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Communications Specialist Associate Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75165
- Pay Grade: P4
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Associate
- Family: Communications & Marketing
- Function: General Communications
To research, write, and report stories for the specified department to enhance university engagement and build relationships with internal and external audiences. Generate positive media coverage to promote the university and advance its overall strategic plan using any and all media outlets available.
Entry-level professional with limited or no prior experience to contribute on a project or work team. Incumbent learns to use professional concepts to resolve problems of limited scope and complexity under close supervision while achieving day-to-day objectives. Works on developmental assignments that are initially routine in nature, requiring limited judgment and decision making. This level is typically focused on self-development. Requires theoretical knowledge through specific education and training. Typically hold a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent relevant professional experience.
- Ability to write quickly, cleanly, format, edit and review stories and photos for the web and produce stories of different types.
- Excellent writing, editing and communication skills.
- Experience using word processing and basic web content management materials.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with internal and external, local, regional and national media and connect them to stories, ideas, etc.
- Knowledge and ability to use a variety of social medias to create, communicate and disseminate information
60% of Time the Communications Specialist Associate must:
- Research, write, edit and proof stories for Boise State’s internal and external publications. Determine how to present the university’s narrative through all means and which stories to pursue for which media.
- Maintain an extensive network of information exchange with media representatives, community partners and agencies, and web-based information dissemination services. Develop and maintain relationships, exchange information and work on teams with all levels of academic and administrative units.
- Assist in communication of strategies or messages from senior leadership
- Maintain a social media presence as needed
35% of Time the Communications Specialist Associate
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Communications Specialist Associate
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Communications Specialist Associate
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.