Job Standard for Communications Specialist Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Communications Specialist, Senior Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75618
- Pay Grade: P7
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Communications & Marketing
- Function: General Communications
To establish common methodologies, structure and clear coordination of communication and training efforts. Work with various resources to identify needs and scope required for developing media and communications for websites, social media channels, print, audio, photography, presentations, digital signage etc.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures. Typically hold a Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree and 5 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
Good knowledge of: rules of effective business English usage, spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Technical writing and editing. Brand marketing, communications, and/or advertising.
Experience: developing and publishing communications to diverse constituent groups in a large or complex organization. Producing, writing and editing multiple communications deliverables for news releases, statements, executive speeches and news/feature stories.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of developing training materials and training sessions for system or project implementations
- Strong verbal, written, organization and presentation skills
- Ability to provide creative solutions to problems
- Excellent project management skills; strong eye and editing skills; attention to detail
60% of Time the Communications Specialist, Senior must:
- Lead the development of strategic approaches to communication plans and branding strategies that are tailored to the specific department’s goals.
- Develop timelines to ensure publishing of media is completed as required and the content and delivery is appropriately planned for target audience.
- Drive innovations and enhancements to employee communications, programs and platforms
- Work with internal and external stakeholders, functional leads, and project managers to develop training and resource material and/or sessions for media software, process workflows, and other assigned subject matter.
- Regularly contributes to the development of new practices, techniques, and standards and is recognized as a communications expert
35% of Time the Communications Specialist, Senior
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Communications Specialist, Senior
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Communications Specialist, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.