Job Standard for Communications Specialist
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Communications Specialist Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75164
- Pay Grade: P5
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Communications & Marketing
- Function: General Communications
Responsible for internal and external communications (including main website content and social marketing), media relations and events support. Determines content topics, coordinates with others to obtain information, writes, edits, designs and sends to students, alumni, donors and community and business contacts. Prepares and supervises the production of press releases, announcements, brochures, event materials, photographs, newsletters, etc.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees. Typically hold a Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
Good knowledge of: social media and the best ways to utilize each platform. Effective communication both verbally and written.
Experience: thinking critically and using creative ways to solve problems. Communicating policies, procedures and complex concepts to a wide variety of skill and interest levels. Leading a team, project management and time management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to code in HTML
- Excellent grammar, composition, and proofreading skills
- Advanced knowledge of design and publishing concepts
- Excellent organizational skills and superior attention to detail.
60% of Time the Communications Specialist must:
- Determines news-worthy stories, website and social media content, and which distribution strategies to implement.
- Develops, organizes and executes public relations events for the specified department.
- Leverage analytics and reports to determine effectiveness and seek continual improvements of marketing and communication initiatives.
- Write, edit and coordinate distribution of information to market, promote and increase the visibility of initiatives and accomplishments of the specific department.
- Responsible for training all web content providers and serve as the main point of contact for problems, questions and concerns regarding the website.
- Manage internal and external communications to project a positive image for the specified department.
- May supervise staff or have leadwork responsibilities
35% of Time the Communications Specialist
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Communications Specialist
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Communications Specialist
Communications Specialist, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.