Job Standard for Compensation Specialist
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name, ID# and PCN#.
Compensation Specialist Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75238
- Pay Grade: P6
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Human Resources
- Function: Compensation
To efficiently administer the foundational components of compensation and assist in the strategic design and analysis and delivery of a compensation philosophy that supports the overall People strategy of the University. Ultimately to help ensure that employees feel the freedom to pursue a purpose driven career.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent and 2 years relevant professional experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficient in computerized office applications, with excellent database and spreadsheet skills
- Interpret and apply laws, policies and regulations; prepare and present information in a clear and concise manner
- Establish priorities and organize workload; plan, coordinate and implement special projects; work in a team environment to achieve organizational goals;
- Ability to take initiative without established guidelines and procedures using independent judgment. High degree of attention to detail.
- Ability to independently research problem areas, facilitate meetings and decision-making processes.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with people at all levels of the organization. Demonstrative experience with collecting, analyzing, reporting and presenting data.
- Experience applying analytical methods to business problems, driving improved decision making and outcomes.
- Maintain strict confidentiality; exercise tact and diplomacy when dealing with sensitive, complex and confidential information; display an attitude of cooperation and work harmoniously with all levels of Boise State University employees.
- 60 % of Time Compensation Specialist will:
- Evaluate job positions to determine classification, exempt and nonexempt and salary of job positions in order to reward appropriately and fairly across campus.
- Review compensation/classification change requests, analyzing internal and external data and communicating the outcomes of those requests to the appropriate department.
- Enhance knowledge of market relativity through conducting wage surveys, job pricing and benchmarking, market analysis and analyzing internal data.
- Prepare occupational classifications, job descriptions and salary scales to ensure relevancy in meeting organizational goals and career pathing for employees.
- Manage job standards creation and approval, ensure appropriate standards and functions are communicated across campus, allowing for flexibility when applicable.
- Responsible for compensation survey software, monitor for discrepancies and updates needed to align with market changes.
- Responsible for administering and communicating the compensation strategy and philosophy to all stakeholders within the organization as part of the classification discussions.
35% of Time Compensation Specialist:
Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Compensation Specialist:
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds.
Not applicable for Compensation Specialist
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.