Job Standard for Controller
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75574
- Pay Grade: P14
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Director
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Accounting
This position assumes the responsibilities of the traditionally defined “Controller” role in the public and private sector including oversight and implementation of initiatives associated with financial reporting, accounting systems, accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger accounting, payroll accounting, transactional tax compliance, internal management reporting, and more.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.
Bachelor’s degree and 8 years relevant experience including 5 years managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience documenting and improving processes and procedures
- Capable of public speaking and training groups on related topics. Experience with taking a complex technical issue and break it down into understandable components for any audience
- Ability to utilize critical thinking skills to proactively problem solve
- Knowledge of databases and spreadsheet concepts and ability to work with them proficiently
- Must have experience in GAAP financial reporting and in analyzing and implementing GASB or FASB financial standards.
- Possess demonstrated experience in implementing and improving internal controls and experience with COSO standards.
60% of Time the Controller must:
- Coordinates the delivery of annual audited financial statements
- Reviews large and unusual transactions and fluctuations
- Directs policy development in collaboration with campus partners
- Coordinates preparation of quarterly full-accrual financial statements and the associated report containing operational data to help inform explanations of fluctuations
- Converts cash basis financial statements to GAAP based financial statements
- Oversee Accounts Payable, Travel Services, and General Ledger Accounting.
- Ensure proper training is provided to each department allowing for smooth operations and processes
- Work with counterparts across the state and with the Office of the State Board of Education financial team to address issues as they arise.
- Continually evaluate the staffing and skills needed to address ever increasing and changing responsibilities
35% of Time the Controller
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Controller
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Controller
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.