Job Standard for Custodial Services, Supervisor
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Custodial Services, Supervisor Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75830
- Pay Grade: P5
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level : Supervisor
- Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function: Facilities Operations Services
Organize, coordinate, assign, and supervise custodial work activities and training of classified custodians, custodial lead workers, custodial supervisors, part-time seasonal, and student staff in the planning and execution of custodial services. Schedules and coordinates outsourced cleaning with contracted vendors, (ie Window Cleaners, Floor Cleaner and Exterminators). Assists with security of state facilities and oversees weekend lockdown procedures of all campus facilities.
Provides immediate supervision to a unit or group of operational or technical employees. Sets and delegates day-to-day tasks to achieve operational objectives. A portion of time may be spent performing individual tasks related to the unit; however, supervisory activities must constitute a primary part of the job. Supervises unit operations to ensure compliance with departmental or campus policies, procedures, and defined internal controls. Problems typically involve a single area, process or constituent group. Ensures accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental standards and procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in custodial work in an institutional setting.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles, practices, and techniques.
- Ability to schedule and manage work shifts to accommodate 24 hour 7 day per week operation.
- Ability to facilitate a conflict resolution process with employees.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Experience operating and maintaining industrial-type cleaning equipment.
- Ability to effectively document performance on a performance appraisal and use it as a tool to improve performance.
60% of the Time the Custodial Services, Supervisor:
- Approves leave requests and reviews time records for direct reports and all crew members.
- Establishes priorities and makes work assignments to ensure that all cleaning requirements are met in the most efficient manner. Adjusts assignments, when temporary staffing shortages occur, to ensure consistency of service.
- Make recommendations regarding staffing issues to ensure consistency and best practices throughout the department. Recommendations may include items such as work or shift assignments, staffing levels needed, and produce/work practices.
- Provides subordinate staff with weekly safety or product training.
- Routinely observe work habits of employees to verify their productivity and work quality, while ensuring adherence to established procedures, safety practices, and infection control standards.
- Estimates, plans, and coordinates custodial requirements for special service request and events. Examples include, but are not limited to: floor restoration, carpet cleaning, window cleaning, or contracting of other specialized cleaning efforts and special events.
- Provides documentation that the department quality assurance goals are being met.
- Assigns weekend lockdown instructions as required by weekly review of weekend events and building schedules.
35% of Time the Custodial Services, Supervisor:
- Determined by department needs
5% of the Time the Custodial Services, Supervisor:
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Custodial Services, Supervisor:
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.