Job Standard for Custodian Leadworker
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Custodian Lead Worker Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 2008
- Pay Grade: F
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 1
- Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function: Custodial
To perform heavy-duty cleaning and maintenance work in an assigned area and coordinate the work of other custodians; perform related work.
Applies basic skills while developing some specialized skills in procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization; performs routine and/or repetitive tasks; limited decision making required; generally, works under close supervision; has no or limited experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions.
Good knowledge of: methods, materials, and equipment used in heavy-duty custodial work including related safety practices; cleaning agents and related products and their possible reactions.
Some knowledge of: supervisory practices; sanitation and infection control; training methods used in custodial work.
Experience: operating industrial-type high-speed cleaning equipment; performing minor maintenance on custodial equipment; using hand tools to repair cleaning equipment; explaining the use and maintenance of custodial equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services
- Ability to inspect equipment, structures, or materials to identify the cause of errors or other problems
- Ability to monitor building premises to ensure occupant of visitor safety
60% of Time the Custodian Lead worker must:
- Explains priorities for completion of projects; resolves problems associated with staff assignments; schedules jobs to be accomplished; ensures safe working conditions for clients and staff; trains in proper and safe way to perform custodial services and operate/maintain equipment; reviews work to insure compliance with standards; prepares performance evaluations; keeps records of employees hours worked; inventories supplies and materials; insures room availability and event schedules are followed.
- Performs and leads others in heavy-duty cleaning; cleans, sanitizes, and polishes fixtures; dusts, mops, waxes, shampoos furniture, woodwork, walls, windows, and glass; removes waste and debris; selects products and cleaning compounds; measures and mixes compounds, disinfectants, and sanitizing agents and applies them according to procedures or manufacturers’ specifications; orders supplies for custodial closets; sweeps, strips, seals, and waxes floors; sets up tables, chairs, and similar items for events; removes adhesives, tiles and carpet; refinishes floors and prepares them for carpeting or special flooring; moves furniture, appliances, and other heavy items; sets up and climbs ladders and scaffolding; shovels snow; reports building maintenance needs; performs a variety of duties to insure facility operation including: setting-up bleachers, portable flooring, tables, and chairs for special events; providing direction and answering basic questions regarding events for patrons; and setting-up and preparing audio/visual equipment and related aids for use.
- Operates scrubbing, buffing, shampooing, vacuuming, and wet/dry pickup machines; performs routine and preventive maintenance on cleaning equipment; finishes floors using sanders, strippers, and final finishers; uses snow blowers, hysters, airlift platforms, dollies, and carts; replaces belts, brushes, and bearings in power equipment; insures that floor and building area is secured including doors locked and lights and appliances off; reports fire hazards, other emergencies.
35% of Time the Custodian Lead worker
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Custodian Lead worker
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This position involves climbing ladders, bending, stooping, lifting and carrying items weighing up to approximately 60 pounds, and standing and walking continuously throughout the shift.
Not applicable for Custodian Lead worker
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.