Job Standard for Custodian
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 02010
- Pay Grade: F
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 1
- Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function: Custodial
To perform heavy-duty cleaning and related maintenance work in an assigned area or building complex; perform related work.
Applies basic skills while developing some specialized skills in procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization; performs routine and/or repetitive tasks; limited decision making required; generally, works under close supervision; has no or limited experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions.
Willingness to: perform duties associated with commercial cleaning, including operating industrial-type cleaning equipment such as high-speed buffers and vacuum cleaners; cleaning restrooms, bath facilities, locker rooms, swimming pools, and similar facilities; moving heavy items such as tables, chairs, and bleachers; and repairing the equipment and related devices you operate.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance
- Ability to manage one’s own time
60% of Time the Custodian must:
- Performs heavy-duty cleaning in locker rooms, classrooms, dormitories, and lavatories; cleans, sanitizes, and polishes; dust, washes, sponge mops; sanitizes, and shampoos furniture, woodwork, walls, windows, and glass items; cleans shades and covers on light fixtures; removes waste and debris; selects products and compounds for cleaning jobs and applies according to procedures or manufacturers’ specifications; orders supplies for custodial closets and stocks custodial closets; sweeps, strips, seals, and finishes wood, linoleum, and other floors; washes windows; removes and prepares draperies for cleaning; removes adhesives, tiles, and carpet; refinishes floors and prepares them for carpeting or special flooring; instructs temporary help.
- Operates heavy-duty scrubbing, buffing, shampooing, vacuuming, and wet/dry pickup equipment; performs preventive maintenance; finishes floors; uses snow blowers, hysters, airlift platforms, dollies, and carts; uses specialized sweepers; replaces belts, brushes, and bearings; insures floor and building area is secure; verifies doors are locked and lights and appliances are off; reports fire hazards and other emergencies.
- Custodians perform a variety of duties to help insure facilities operate smoothly. This may include setting-up for special events, providing direction and answering basic questions regarding events for patrons. Moves furniture and similar heavy items; sets-up and climbs ladders; shovels snow from walkways.
35% of Time the Custodian
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Custodian
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Most work time will be in high traffic areas requiring intensive cleaning and maintenance and may include marginally unsafe and/or unpleasant conditions. These positions involve climbing ladders, bending, stooping, lifting and carrying items weighing up to approximately 50 pounds, and standing and walking continuously throughout the shift.
Not applicable for Custodian
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.