Job Standard for Customer Care, Senior Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Customer Care, Senior Manager Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75624
- Pay Grade: P9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior Manager
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Customer Care
Work with the department manager and director to help provide focus, direction and support for the Help Desk and TSS team. Balance work and assignments to and from the Help Desk so that assignments are covered in an optimal manner.
Provide client support for desktop-based software applications, hardware configurations and system analysis. Develop, document and implement strategies, standards and procedures to be used by the various information technology staff members inside and outside of the Office of Information Technologies across Boise State University.
Spends the majority of time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of subordinate staff. Manages experienced professionals who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with autonomy. Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial, and often physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives. Ensures subordinate supervisors and professionals adhere to defined internal controls with a focus on policy and strategy implementation. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets and requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area.
Bachelor’s degree plus 2 years of desktop management experience or equivalent. Prefer degree concentration in: Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems or Computer Science. Desktop certification exams will be sought as part of continuing job training.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Training in information technology concepts.
- Experience in installing, configuring, networking and troubleshooting Desktop Operating systems and Microsoft Office applications.
- Substantial knowledge and experience with personal computer hardware including processors, motherboards, memory, hard disks, optical drives and peripherals such as scanners, cameras, printers, external hard drives, etc.
- Experience in creating documentation for the web using tools that create HTML and/or XML format.
- Excellent communication skills, which allow for troubleshooting and problem solving via oral and written communication.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices. Ability to make decisions about scheduling, coverage and call distribution to maximize efficiency and productivity
- Demonstrated ability to follow up on multiple priorities simultaneously to accomplish all tasks without sacrificing quality.
- Ability to assess the need for replacement of hardware and/or software and make purchase recommendations, assuring compatibility with current configurations.
- Ability to prioritize workloads
60% of Time the Customer Care, Senior Manager must:
Team Lead Responsibility
- Manage department processes, priority calls and design and coordinate training for new employees (both students and full time)
- Manage role coverage issues when students and employees are sick or otherwise indisposed or during times when workload needs to be shuffled amongst the staff.
- Indirectly supervise full-time and student employees.
- Monitor ITSM for open, unacknowledged and unassigned calls and determine who to assign or determine resolution as appropriate. Review the status of tickets of tickets for process compliance and adherence to our stated service goals.
- This position is responsible for training new full time and student employees. This position will organize, design the training (based on the knowledge level of the new employee) and coordinate the training experience (both on the phone at the Help Desk and on-site procedures). This position and the Manager will work to be sure our policies, practices and procedures are known as well as help the new employee become part of the User Support team. This responsibility requires that the leads are aware of all OIT Customer Care policies and support them. This is dependent on turnover and growth in the TSS and student employee staff.
- This position will review, request updates to, & archive existing knowledge according to our Knowledge Management Processes.
General Support Responsibility
- As scheduled, answer telephone, web requests and email requests as a representative of the University’s Front Line Operations. This includes understanding and documenting the problem in the Help Desk software as well as resolving a minimum of 70% of the calls at the time of the call.
- Successfully manage, document, design and engineer assigned projects and assignments. Analyze and document current systems and procedures. Develop, document and implement strategies, standards and procedures to be used by the various information technology staff members inside and outside of the Office of Information Technologies across Boise State University.
- Maintain working relationships within OIT, the campus community and with outside vendors.
35% of Time the Customer Care, Senior Manager
- Proactively prevent issues, diagnose personal computer hardware and software problems and develop a solution. Must have knowledge of computer hardware including processors, motherboards and peripherals. Troubleshoot various software configurations/features including operating systems, word processing, spreadsheets, databases and networking on all platforms that the University supports. Install and configure software applications/operating systems and network clients to operate properly on the University’s network, which includes handheld devices, Novell, Unix, Linux , Macintosh and Microsoft. Communication skills are essential to gain the proper information to diagnose problems, explain and document procedures, operational instructions and solutions to the casual computer user. Technical documentation is also required for the interdepartmental knowledgebase. Interpersonal relationships need to be developed with co-workers and outside technicians to assist with problems of a complex nature or those that require network, database or developer assistance. Research the latest product patches and fixes through web access and telephone. Consult with faculty and staff on what computer systems and software to purchase. Must have current knowledge of the computer industry and system configurations through publications and training. Must have relationships with vendors to gather enough information to make an informed recommendation. These are all daily duties. These two issues represent 40% of the job.
5% of Time the Customer Care, Senior Manager
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
General Office – Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
Assist in the installation of multimedia equipment; ascend and/or descend ladders, scaffolding, ramps, poles and other devices, carrying, lifting and holding up to 45 pounds of equipment, work in tight spaces to connect hardware with necessary cables.
May be required to travel with overnight stays.
Associate Director of Customer Care, other OIT Professional positions.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.