Job Standard for Customer Care Technical Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Customer Care Technical Manager Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75512
- Pay Grade: P10
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior Manager
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Customer Care
Provide technical and personnel leadership of client support for first tier support of all OIT and learning technology solutions. Guide and lead the complexities of a staff of over 60 employees that work in 7 locations from 7 am to 10 pm, 7 days a week, includes all of the human resources, training, management, technology, customer support and training.
This position also must thoroughly understand client support for desktop-based software applications, hardware configurations and system analysis. Manage, design and engineer projects as they relate to the desktop infrastructure and first level support.
Spends the majority of time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of subordinate staff. Manages experienced professionals who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with autonomy. Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial, and often physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives. Ensures subordinate supervisors and professionals adhere to defined internal controls with a focus on policy and strategy implementation. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets and requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area. May report to a Chair, Unit Director, or equivalent administrative management.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and work experience with a minimum of 5 years of technology management experience and 2 years supervisory or project management experience.
Prefer degree concentration in: Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems or Computer Science. Desktop certification exams will be sought as part of continuing job training.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Training in information technology concepts.
- Experience in installing, configuring, networking and troubleshooting Desktop Operating systems and Office applications.
- Skilled in interpersonal relationships including clear communication skills, planning, organization and setting priorities.
- Experience in software management, contracts, purchasing and negotiation.
- Excellent communication skills, which allow for troubleshooting and problem solving via oral and written communication. As we move more into self-service and web support, the ability to give clear written instructions has become more important.
- IT service management, leadership, efficiency and support certifications will be sought as part of this position.
- Demonstrated ability to follow up on multiple priorities simultaneously to accomplish all tasks without sacrificing quality.
60% of Time the Customer Care Technical Manager must:
- Customer Relationship Management: Responsible to monitor performance and quality of the team’s performance and customer interactions. This position meets regularly with key stakeholders to ensure we are meeting department needs.
- Personnel Management: Responsible to manage, to hire, supervise and schedule student and full-time employees of the help desk, service desk, refresh, classroom support, event management and print support teams. This is over 60 employees to cover all of the open shifts.
- Support: Ensure the team is providing prompt and quality service to University employees, students, alumni, guests and vendors.
- This position is responsible for the successful delivery of the OIT services that involve checkout to students (approximately 11,000 checkout per year), printing (2.5 million pages annual) and event management.
- Responsible for balancing time worked on the Help Desk with other responsibilities and projects. Help Desk must be well covered, but balanced for on-site problem solving. Manage role coverage issues when students and employees are sick or otherwise indisposed or during times when workload needs to be shuffled amongst the staff.
- Directly supervise student employees as they work with the campus. Indirectly supervise and coach full time employees on customer service, phone and walk-in interactions, communications and knowledge management issues.
- Successfully manage, document, design and assign projects within Tier 1. Successfully manage and direct application management and systems that pertain to the zones.
- Serve as the primary backup for Customer Care management when they are out of the office for an extended period or otherwise indisposed. Backup and support the other managers.
- This position has contact both physically and logically with nearly every department across campus. The relationships are developed when working on the Help Desk and through department and interdepartmental meetings.
- Serve on committees, interdepartmental teams and special projects as requested.
- Position is responsible to develop budgetary needs for tier 1. Position makes recommendations on salary and will provide information on approximately $1,000,000 in purchases and salary annually.
35% of Time the Customer Care Technical Manager
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Customer Care Technical Manager
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
General Office – Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
May be required to travel with overnight stays.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.