Job Standard for Customer Service Rep 1
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Customer Service Rep 1 Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 01121
- Pay Grade: G
- FLSA Status: Non-exempt
- Career Level: Level 1
- Family: General Administration
- Function: Administrative Support
To provide customer service and specialized information; assist individuals in securing services, permits or licenses; perform related work.
Applies basic skills while developing some specialized skills in procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization; performs routine and/or repetitive tasks; limited decision making required; generally, works under close supervision; has no or limited experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions.
Sufficient speech and hearing acuity to perform customer service work. Experience: explaining policies, procedures, or rules; handling complaints and upset individuals; business telephone etiquette.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Word processing skills
- Ability to perform several tasks simultaneously while having continual interruptions
- Knowledge of using database software to store, retrieve, and compile information in a report format.
60% of Time the Customer Service Rep 1 must:
- Greet visitors and answer the telephone; possess good knowledge of department programs and services to provide accurate information; explain and apply rules, policies, and procedures; refer people to the appropriate department or staff. Maintain a high degree of confidentiality. Independently applying program knowledge to screen for services and assist individuals and determine their needs or purpose of their visit.
- Screening and channeling calls, and taking messages; scheduling appointments for staff members; producing labels, forms and routine letters; composing and signing routine correspondence; receiving money; verifying completeness of applications and forms; maintaining record keeping systems.
35% of Time the Customer Service Rep 1
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Customer Service Rep 1
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day.
Not applicable for Customer Service Rep 1
Customer Service Rep 2, Administrative Assistant 1
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.