Job Standard for Data Warehouse Developer 1
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Data Warehouse Developer 1 Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75806
- Pay Grade: P6
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Applications Development
Perform software development, production support and provide overall expertise in the area of Data Warehouse and Reporting Applications. This position supports enterprise data warehouse structures and tools that are based on, but external to, our campus ERP environment and are utilized campus wide.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent plus 2 years of relevant professional experience.
Prefer degree concentration in: Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems, or Computer Science.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of the software development life cycle.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in relational databases, SQL.
- Experience in database design and modeling for data warehouse and business intelligence applications, including relational database structures and normal forms.
- Analytical and troubleshooting skills with complex technical subjects and tasks.
- Ability to present and explain complex technical topics, problems, alternative solutions to others.
- Advanced experience with or knowledge of most of the following software, languages and tools, or similar products is preferred:
SQL Server DBMS, TSQL (ANSI), SSAS, SSIS, SSRS, SharePoint/Performance Point Services, SharePoint Designer, Visual Studio Business Intelligence Development Studio, Oracle DBMS, Oracle PL/SQL, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access.
- Experience with software document and version control.
- Experience estimating solution development and delivering solutions against those estimates.
60% of Time the Data Warehouse Developer 1 must:
- Design, develop and modify relational and multidimensional database structures, relationships, data flows and data interfaces within the data warehouse as needed:
- Understand thoroughly the architecture, data structures and fundamental design principles of the data warehouse.
- Analyze and modify the data structures within the data warehouse to adapt them to the university’s business needs and add enhanced functionality
- Modify the data load ETL processes as needed to Extract, Transform and Load data from various data sources into the data warehouse.
- Use programming languages, software development methods, “best practice” programming techniques and department standards guides to develop new data warehouse structures and reports and to modify existing ones
- Unit test and debug code prior to delivery to client.
- Participate in requirements gathering and analysis, technical design, testing, documentation and project planning:
- Consult with clients to gather information about needs, objectives, functions, performance expectations and input and output requirements. Identify and propose technical alternatives to solving client requests and system problems and recommend the best alternative
- Follow department standards and create written documentation and diagrams as required and/or requested. Documentation may include technical specifications, technical alternatives, structure charts, data flow diagrams, etc. for both new functionality and for modifications to existing functionality.
- Consult with functional areas as requested to aid in the development of their test scenarios, test plans and test scripts.
- Provide Data Warehouse Development knowledge, experience and expertise as an active team member in BIRS:
- Serve as a technical resource for Data Warehouse Application Development. Maintain proficiency in current data warehouse development platforms, languages and opportunities.
- Maintain proficiency in integration methods required to link the data warehouse to other systems. Research and stay abreast of changes in data warehouse technology
- Provide on-going production support for enterprise data warehouse applications:
- Provide production support and on-call support including problem analysis and resolution, including during and after work hours. Verify integration during system upgrades and changes.
- Collaborate with various groups (clients, help desk, technical infrastructure staff) to identify and resolve application issues.
- Review, analyze and troubleshoot vendor-supplied updates and fixes. File support case(s) with vendors as required
- Find opportunities to improve processes, quality assurance and customer service:
- Identify and implement improvements to software code for increased performance, efficiency, reliability, maintainability, extensibility and customer self-sufficiency.
- Monitor and update issue logs with status and resolution information per project standards, department standards and/or as requested.
- Consult and collaborate with members of OIT, including PeopleSoft Administrators, DBA’s and Application Administrators to solve technical and/or system problems.
35% of Time the Data Warehouse Developer 1
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Data Warehouse Developer 1
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
General Office; sedentary work–sitting most of time.
May be required to travel with overnight stays.
Data Warehouse Developer 2
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.