Job Standard for Data Warehouse Developer 2
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Data Warehouse Developer 2 Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75807
- Pay Grade: P9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Applications Development
Perform software development, production support and provide overall expertise in the area of Data Warehouse and Reporting Applications. Position supports enterprise data warehouse structures and tools that are based on, but external to, our campus ERP environment and are utilized campus wide. The senior role is responsible to mentor and may act as lead.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent plus 5 years of relevant professional experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Advanced Knowledge and experience in relational databases, SQL.
- Experience designing and modeling data warehouse applications for delivery and developing scalable, multi-tiered applications.
- Experience in Experience with Microsoft Reporting Technologies.
- Experience in database design and modeling for data warehouse and business intelligence applications, including relational database structures and normal forms.
- Excellent communication skills (Oral and written), interpersonal and organizational skills are required. Ability to present and explain complex technical topics, problems, alternative solutions to others.
- Advanced experience with or knowledge of software, languages and tools, or similar products
- Advanced Knowledge of how to develop in one or more IDE’s (Integrated Development Environments), such as Visual Studio and SQL Server Management Studio.
- Experience with software document and version control, estimating solution development and delivering solutions against those estimates.
- Experience operating in a Microsoft Business Intelligence and Reporting environment and knowledge in Business Intelligence Cloud Services.
60% of Time the Data Warehouse Developer 2 must:
- Design, develop and modify relational and multidimensional database structures, relationships, data flows and data interfaces within the data warehouse as needed.
- Understand thoroughly the architecture, data structures and fundamental design principles of the data warehouse.
- Analyze and modify the data structures within the data warehouse to adapt them to the university’s business needs and add enhanced functionality to store, manage and track data
- Use programming languages, software development methods, “best practice” programming techniques and department standards guides to develop new data warehouse structures and reports
- Create and modify database and system interfaces to other applications as required for data warehouse application development and support.
- Develop, modify and publish reports based on user requirements using data from enterprise Data Warehouse.
- Identify new reporting needs and develop reports using appropriate reporting tools. Modify reports as per user requirements. Recommend and oversee appropriate mechanisms for distribution of reports, such as dashboards, reporting websites, email distribution, etc.
- Test and validate reports prior to publishing to ensure a high level of integrity. Work with team members to identify additional report- driven data requirements.
- Work with OIT, IR and other campus staff to maintain the campus data dictionary for reporting as required.
- Participate in requirements gathering and analysis, technical design, testing, documentation and project planning.
- Consult with clients to gather information about needs, objectives, functions, performance expectations and input and output requirements. Identify and propose technical alternatives to solving client requests and system problems
- Create written documentation and diagrams as required and/or requested, documentation may include technical specifications, technical alternatives, structure charts, data flow diagrams, etc. for both new functionality and for modifications to existing functionality.
- Estimate time required to complete technical tasks and ensure that due dates negotiated with clients and/or manager are met without sacrificing quality.
- Write and maintain documentation to describe program development, logic, coding, testing, changes and corrections.
- Provide Data Warehouse Development knowledge, experience and expertise as an active team member in BIRS:
- Serve as a technical resource for Data Warehouse Application Development. Maintain proficiency in current data warehouse development platforms, languages and opportunities.
- Research and stay abreast of changes in data warehouse technology and collaborate with managers and colleagues
- Provide on-going production support for enterprise data warehouse applications:
- including problem analysis and resolution, including during and after work hours.
- Collaborate with various groups (clients, help desk, technical infrastructure staff) to identify and resolve application issues.
- Verify integration during system upgrades and changes.
- Find opportunities to improve processes, quality assurance and customer service:
- Work with managers to communicate revised standards and processes and solicit buy-in from colleagues.
- Identify and implement improvements to software code for increased performance, efficiency, reliability, maintainability, extensibility and customer self-sufficiency.
- Provide Appropriate Reporting:
- Monitor and update issue logs with status and resolution information per project standards, department standards and/or as requested. Writes and submits status reports on time as requested by the manager.
- Provide mentoring, software development knowledge and expertise and technical leadership for the team:
- Demonstrate expert proficiency in Data Warehouse Application Development and relational databases design and SQL.
- Mentor and train both new and lesser-experienced colleagues to use software development tools, methods, “best practices”, departmental standards and technology used by the department.
- Assist new and less-experienced staff members in reviewing requirements, functional specifications, technical specifications, code, etc. and identifying the method which best balances client requirements, functionality, performance, time to implement, long-term maintainability, extensibility and customer self-sufficiency.
- Stays current with relevant advances in technologies via on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, research etc.
- Participate in recruiting efforts for new developers and other technical staff
- Independently prioritize the completion of tasks and resolution of issues to ensure compliance to project budget and deliverables. Responsible for the coordination of parts of large projects or managing small to medium projects as assigned.
- Devise and conduct workshops, seminars, “brown bag” sessions in technical topics as appropriate. Propose training requirements for self and colleagues to gain and to maintain proficiency in technical competencies.
- Provide backup coverage for manager as requested,
35% of Time the Data Warehouse Developer 2
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Data Warehouse Developer 2
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
General Office; sedentary work–sitting most of the time.
May be required to travel with overnight stays.
Data Warehouse Developer 3 or Manager track
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.