Job Standard for Data Warehouse Developer 3
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Data Warehouse Developer 3 Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75809
- Pay Grade: P11
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Applications Development
The Data Warehouse Developer 3 position performs software development, production support and provides overall expertise in the area of Data Warehouse and Reporting Applications. The duties include maintaining and enhancing data warehouse structures and the ETL integration between source systems and those structures, providing production support (including after normal working hours), developing reporting solutions, and providing data warehouse development knowledge, experience, and expertise. This position supports enterprise data warehouse structures and tools that are based on, but external to, our campus ERP environment (PeopleSoft) and are utilized campus wide. As part of the senior role in the data warehouse team, it is also the responsibility of the individual to mentor other members of the team, work with management to establish standards and work with the team to architect solutions that are scalable and maintainable
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of areas typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years experience or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of the software development life cycle.
- Advanced Knowledge and experience in relational databases, SQL.
- Experience designing and modeling data warehouse applications for delivery.
- Experience in developing scalable, multi-tiered applications.
- Experience with Microsoft Reporting Technologies.
- Experience in database design and modeling for data warehouse and business intelligence applications. This also includes knowledge relational database structures and normal forms.
- Analytical and troubleshooting skills with complex technical subjects and tasks.
- Excellent communications skills (Oral and written), interpersonal, and organizational skills are required.
- Ability to present and explain complex technical topics, problems, alternative solutions to others.
60% of Time the Data Warehouse Developer 3 must:
- Design, develop and modify relational and multidimensional database structures, relationships, data flows and data interfaces within the data warehouse as needed.
- Develop, modify and publish reports based on user requirements using data from enterprise Data Warehouse.
- Participate in requirements gathering and analysis, technical design, testing, documentation and project planning.
- Provide Data Warehouse Development knowledge, experience, and expertise as an active team member in BIRS.
- Provide mentoring, software development knowledge and expertise, and technical leadership for the team.
- Provide on-going production support for enterprise data warehouse applications.
- Improve processes, quality assurance and customer service.
- Provide appropriate reporting.
35% of Time the Data Warehouse Developer 3
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Data Warehouse Developer 3
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and requiring wearing hearing protection.
May be required to travel with overnight stays.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.