Job Standard for Dean
Job Standard for Dean
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 70001
- Pay Grade: Exempt Faculty
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Dean
- Family: Faculty
- Function: Administrative Faculty
The Dean provides academic management, leadership, and vision to support and implement a college’s strategic initiatives in teaching, service, and research that are all part of Boise State University’s “Blueprint for Success” strategic planning initiative. In addition to these roles, the Dean will cultivate relationships with community partners, donors, and alumni to further address the current and future aspirations of a college. The Dean is typically supported by an Associate Dean and/or an Assistant Dean, a number of Department Chairs, and Administrative/Professional Staff. The Dean facilitates work by guiding the efforts of faculty and staff through a flexible and innovative approach that tackles complex issues specific to the college and certain University initiatives. The Dean can play a variety of directive and collaborative roles in overseeing and guiding their respective college’s undergraduate and graduate degree programs
A Dean is an academic leader who has academic, programmatic, managerial, and fiscal responsibilities for a school or college. Deans may verify the adequacy of instruction, monitor academic integrity, confer degrees, and have some level of responsibility for student recruitment, admission, and academic progress. They are often responsible for the ethical conduct of research and for establishing and maintaining a culture of compliance, collaboration and integrity among faculty, staff, and students. They provide local direction and resources for the education, training, and implementation of federal, state, and local regulations and practices and university and sponsoring agency policies and procedures.
- Doctorate or terminal degree in one of the disciplines in their respective college or a closely-related field
- A distinguished record of achievement in the areas of research, teaching, and service with evidence of professional distinction that merits appointment at the rank of tenured, full professor within the College.
- 3-5 years of administrative/leadership experience in higher education overseeing operations of sufficient complexity to prepare the candidate to be successful as Dean of their respective college.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work and collaborate successfully with persons, programs, organizations, agencies and the community with distinctly varied missions, goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated success in educational program design and implementation.
- A record of personal, professional and academic initiative, flexibility and strong communication skills, including public speaking and writing.
- Articulate and persuasive communication skills (written and verbal).
60% of Time the Dean must:
- Reporting directly to the Provost and VP for Academic Affairs, the Dean serves as the chief academic and executive officer of the college, which typically serves hundreds of students, employing dozens of full-time faculty and staff in multiple academic departments.
- Supervises or leads department chairs, directors, faculty and staff as determined by the Dean’s role and responsibilities in upholding the mission of their respective college, with guidance from the Provost and other University stakeholders.
- Play a pivotal role in creatively executing the college plan for the advancement of their respective college.
- Demonstrate a growth mentality and creativity with the acquisition and allocation of resources to address strategic goals that position their respective college within specific niche areas for continued success.
- Working with University Advancement, the Dean will have the responsibility to generate resources that support students and advance the mission of the college.
- Play a key role in providing leadership and support to their college faculty as the university continues to increase its research ecosystem and expenditures
35% of Time the Dean
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Dean
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This position is generally in a normal indoor office setting with minimal noise levels and may involve bending, moving, lifting, and carrying materials that weigh up to 15 pounds
Travel is typically required for a variety of reasons – to be determined based on specific requirements for the respective College or School
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.