Job Standard for Development Director, Athletics
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Development Director Athletics Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75586
- Pay Grade: P12
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Director
- Family: External Affairs
- Function: Development
Responsible for direct oversight, vision, and execution of the Bronco Athletic Association at Boise State University Intercollegiate Athletics. This position will strategically direct the annual fund operations and development staff in its mission of supporting student-athlete scholarships through a comprehensive fundraising program. A key leader with critical decision-making responsibilities. Will report directly to the Senior Associate Athletics Director – External affairs and serve on the Athletics External Leadership team.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.
Bachelor’s Degree and 8 years experience including 5 years Managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- This position must have experience membership/fund development or related sales experience.
- Must have experience with solicitation and acquisition of membership- sales and the ability to complete these tasks.
- Strong working knowledge and understanding of all NCAA rules and regulations regarding compliance issues
- Marketing Principles is expected to have a high level of communication skills and ability to work effectively with donors, both oral and written communication.
- Expected to have a high level of communication and ability to work effectively with donors, both oral and written communication.
- Stewardship Ability to manage prospects from identification through the entire cultivation process.
- Must have booster/donor experience in the areas of identification, cultivation and solicitation. Must be able to develop good relationships with prospective/current donors.
60% of Time Development Director, Athletics
- Develop, coordinate, and execute strategies to grow membership into the Bronco Athletic Association.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit annual fund and major gift support, in coordination with Major Gifts leadership, for Boise State Intercollegiate Athletics. Major gifts are classified as financial commitments of $25,000 or more.
- Work with annual donors to increase support and gain new membership.
- In coordination with Major Gifts leadership, work to develop and coordinate capital campaigns for facilities and scholarships. Also includes closely tracking progress on capital campaigns.
- Directs Bronco Athletic Association staff, in coordination with the Athletics External Leadership Team, boosters, and University staff to ensure that development activities are maximizing monies raised and to maintain good public relations with donors, businesses and corporations.
- Directly supervise and manage Development Officers in the Bronco Athletic Association
- Identify and cultivate current and prospective donors.
- Responsible for hiring, making hiring recommendations, completing performance evaluations, scheduling, making work assignments.
35% of Time Development Director, Athletics
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Development Director, Athletics
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Some overnight travel when necessary
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.