Job Standard for Development, Executive Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Development, Executive Director Overview
- Work Type: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75439
- Pay Grade: P14
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Director
- Family: External Affairs
- Function: Development
Responsible for overseeing all aspects of annual giving for University Advancement. Collaborates with university-wide college ad unit stakeholders to develop strategies to increase the level of annual giving support. Position oversees program implementation, strategic planning, budget, and daily operations.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.
Bachelor’s Degree and 8 years’ experience including 5 years Managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of developing strategies to increase the level of annual giving support
- Ability to develop and implement all facets of a comprehensive annual giving program
- Experience in development
- Experience supervising, mentoring, coaching staff,
- Experience in higher education and annual giving
- Critical decision-maker
60% of Time the Development, Executive Director
- Oversees all aspects of annual giving for University Advancement in order to broaden the base for philanthropic support from alumni, friends, parents, faculty, staff, and students.
- Oversees program implementation, strategic planning, budget, and daily operations
- Supervises the associate director of development, assistant directors of development, call center manager, administrative staff, and Student employees
- Collaborates with campus-wide stakeholders to develop and manage a comprehensive annual giving program in conjunction with university priorities to solicit key constituencies through phone, direct mail, e-mail website, social media, crowd funding and other mechanisms.
- Monitor and analyze the results of annual fund appeals to determine effectiveness and for ongoing reports.
35% of Time the Development, Executive Director
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Development, Executive Director
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Some travel may be required
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.