Job Standard for Development, Senior Executive Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Development, Senior Executive Director Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code:75433
- Pay Grade: P15
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Executive Director
- Family: External Affairs
- Function: Development
This position provides strategic direction, operations oversight and leadership to Boise State’s development efforts. Responsible for college development directors as well as the gift planning team. This position implements strategic development staff; and for providing oversight and leadership direction that results in successful fundraising operations.
Directs through subordinate Managers multiple large and complex critical programs impacting broad constituencies across major portions of campus. Identifies objectives, manages very significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with an extremely high degree of autonomy. Accountable for formulating and administering policies and programs for major functions. Operational or program results can affect overall campus wide performance and reputation. Directs through subordinate Managers the development of strategic goals and objectives to achieve accountability and stewardship of university resources in a manner consistent with campus and system wide objectives and initiatives.
Bachelor’s Degree and 10 years’ experience including 6 yr. Managerial Exp.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of prospect management, major and planned gift fund raising, best practices in academic fundraising
- Experience leading a comprehensive campaign and the ability to translate priorities into action plans and results.
- Ability to build and motivate a team of fundraising professionals.
- Proven track record in major and planned gift cultivation and solicitation.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, verbal and written communications skills.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of computer software including database programs.
60% of Time Development, Senior Executive Director
- Lead, direct and motivate college based and gift planning development directors in all aspects of relationship management and fundraising efforts.
- Create an inspirational philanthropic culture within University Advancement
- Work closely with College Deans and their associated Development Directors in the formulation, implementation and monitoring of development goals and plans for schools/colleges and various other campus constituencies.
- Specific activities include: assigning prospects, conducting prospect meetings, developing prospect strategies, assessing progress
- Provide expertise and mentorship for all aspects of gift planning, including formulating strategies for prospect and donor gift plans. Provide oversight for settlement of all estates.
- Maintain a portfolio of prospects and personally cultivate and solicit major and planned gifts.
35% of Time Development, Senior Executive Director
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Development, Senior Executive Director
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Some travel required
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.