Job Standard for Director, Client Computing
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Director, Client Computing Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75226
- Pay Grade: P14
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Director
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Customer Care
Responsible for technical and personnel leadership of client support for client software applications, hardware configurations, IoT, AV, Digital Signage and system analysis, while also providing solutions for integration between desktop and University specific applications.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent plus 8 years experience including 5 years managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong training in information technology concepts.
- High experience in installing, configuring, networking and troubleshooting Desktop Operating systems and Office applications.
- Skilled in interpersonal relationships including clear communication skills, planning, organization and setting priorities.
- Strong experience in software management, contracts, purchasing and negotiation.
- Well versed experience in creating documentation.
- Excellent communication skills, which allow for troubleshooting and problem solving via oral and written communication. As we move more into self-service and web support, the ability to give clear written instructions has become more important.
60% of Time the Director, Client Computing must:
- Customer Relationship Management: Responsible to monitor performance and quality of the team’s performance and customer interactions. This position meets regularly with key stakeholders to ensure we are meeting department needs.
- Personnel Management: Responsible to manage, to hire, supervise and schedule student and full-time employees of the help desk, service desk, refresh, classroom support, event management and print support teams. This is over 60 employees to cover all of the open shifts.
- Training: This position also is accountable for training new full time and student employees in coordination with the managers and assistant managers. This will be done with involvement from the entire department. This position will organize, design the training (based on the knowledge level of the new employee) and coordinate the training experience. The position will work to be sure our policies, practices and procedures are known as well as help all employees become part of the Customer Care team.
- Ensures the team is providing prompt and quality support to university client systems. The current scope is expect to grow and currently includes 4500 laptops and desktop office computers, 750 network printers, a multitude of handheld, mobile devices, point of sales systems, digital signage and 200 classrooms and conference rooms. This also include the client computing lifecycle of procurement, patch management and salvage
35% of Time the Director, Client Computing
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Director, Client Computing
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
General Office – Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
May be required to travel with overnight stays.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.