Job Standard for Director, Recruitment and Advising
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Director, Recruitment & Advising Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75911
- Pay Grade: P12
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Director
- Family: Student Services
- Function: Academic Advising/Student Support
Provides Strategic vision and directs all recruitment, student success and advising activities. Leads a complex organization with multiple functional teams and complex processes. Provides broad, administrative direction with responsibility for providing strategic leadership and direction in the planning, implementing, improving and evaluating of operations and processes.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent plus 8 years experience including 5 managerial
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience leading and building teams in the field of higher education.
- Professional experience developing and managing successful recruitment or advising teams. Experience leading, managing, and retaining motivated and team-oriented staff and creating a dynamic, collaborative, results-driven, and interactive environment.
- Ability to be entrepreneurial and to successfully develop and administer programs.
- Ability to analyze, resolve, and develop long-term solutions to a wide variety of complex and unpredictable problems.
- Skills to prepare clear, concise and informative reports, correspondence and other written materials.
- Ability to generate, cultivate and maintain business relationships with internal and external partners in the corporate community, maintain a high level of communication skills and work well with a diverse group of people.
- Must be able to work independently, make decisions and problem solve in situations without precedent or defined process.
- Ability to operate independently when planning and implementing strategy, setting priorities for staff and leading change.
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to prioritize and manage complex organizational systems and processes. Highly accurate with a large number of details.
- Manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously and remain flexible to rapidly changing priorities in a highly collaborative environment.
60% of Time the Director, Recruitment & Advising must:
- Direct all complex and multidimensional services provided by the recruitment team to prospective students interested in courses and programs provided online and for adult students.
- Direct comprehensive advising for student services, and student support for online programs and online and adult students.
- Direct all complex and multidimensional services provided to current students admitted and enrolled in online and flex programs.
- Direct efforts to meet or exceed recruitment, enrollment, retention and graduation benchmarks.
- Direct the tracking of online program prospective, active and enrolled students and delivery of timely and effective reports. Define, gather, and organize data into coherent strategy and oversee reporting.
- Demonstrate a strong ability to manage, coordinate, and deliver on concepts and information to effectively maximize the university’s brand.
- Assess the effectiveness of operations and alter strategies as indicated.
- Collaborate closely with a variety of stakeholders, both internal and external, on all aspects of projects.
- Foster direct and strategic partnerships with and in support of academic departments developing and/or executing online programs, student services offices, university leadership and community partners.
- Develop, enhance, and maintain excellent relationships with stakeholders from diverse areas within and outside of the University. Advocate for online and non-traditional students with campus administrators and stakeholders.
35% of Time the Director, Recruitment & Advising
Sample Text: Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Director, Recruitment & Advising
Sample Text: Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This position is generally in a normal indoor office setting with minimal noise levels and may involve bending, moving, lifting, and carrying materials that weigh up to 15 pounds
Not applicable for Director, Recruitment & Advising
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.