Job Standard for Educational Specialist
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Educational Specialist Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75072
- Pay Grade: P4
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Student Services
- Function: Academic Advising/Student Support
To provide academic improvement opportunities for veterans enrolled in the BSU Veterans Upward Bound Program.
Entry-level professional with limited or no prior experience to contribute on a project or work team. Incumbent learns to use professional concepts to resolve problems of limited scope and complexity under close supervision while achieving day-to-day objectives. Works on developmental assignments that are initially routine in nature, requiring limited judgment and decision making. This level is typically focused on self development. Requires theoretical knowledge through specific education and training. Typically hold a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent relevant professional experience.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent relevant professional experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience teaching multiple levels
- Previous experience working with low-income participants would be a plus.
- Background in financial aid, admissions, and basic skills curriculum design would be helpful.
- Bilingual/ bicultural plus or / experience working with multicultural populations.
60% of Time the Educational Specialist must:
- Provide VUB participants information about postsecondary schools and/or programs; technical assistance in the area of college admission, financial aid, and scholarship; career information and referrals to post-secondary school career advisors if needed.
- Coordinate academic services offered to veterans enrolled in VUB. Ensure veterans complete an academic assessment.
- Under direction of the project director, develop academic classes to be offered by VUB to veterans enrolled in VUB programs.
- Create an individual education plan in collaboration with other VUB staff for each veteran. Maintain accurate documentation of their progress toward completion of their plan.
- Teach classes to VUB participants that have a demonstrated need for improvement prior to enrollment in a postsecondary program.
- Develop and coordinate a series of special topic workshops as directed by grant or project director (e.g. financial literacy, study skills, test anxiety).
- Develop and maintain a positive working relationship with postsecondary institutions and programs VUB participants may attend.
- Maintain accurate and confidential records regarding participants’ academic progress while in VUB program.
- Determine work assignments and class selection of teachers and/or instructors.
- Provide information as needed to veterans regarding postsecondary opportunities including admissions, financial aid, COMPASS testing, and scholarships and assist as needed.
- Assist project director with the development and submission of the Annual Performance Report to the U.S. Department of Education.
35% of Time the Educational Specialist
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Educational Specialist
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Educational Specialist
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.