Job Standard for Engineering, Support Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Engineering, Support Manager Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75487
- Pay Grade: P11
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior Manager
- Family: Research & Laboratory
- Function: Research & Lab Support
This position will provide project management leadership and technical engineering support to laboratory and facility projects, including engineering design and fabrication efforts, managing the research support team and connecting with industry partners. Will also represent TechHelp and Boise State University in various public forums with the purpose to network learning and informing potential clients of service capabilities.
Spends the majority of time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of subordinate staff. Manages experienced professionals who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with autonomy. Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial, and often physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives. Ensures subordinate supervisors and professionals adhere to defined internal controls with a focus on policy and strategy implementation. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets and requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent plus 5 years experience including 1 year managerial experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to recruit and manage internal and external clients.
- Ability to organize and manage equipment installation and maintenance to create and maintain effective safety and operational processes.
- Ability to manage financial and accounting systems for the organization.
- Must be able to learn and apply standardized test procedures for equipment.
- Skilled in the use of design software such as SolidWorks.
- Ability to communicate with researchers and industry clients both orally and in written form.
- Ability to troubleshoot equipment, electrical systems, and product testing setup and activities.
- Capable of managing and mentoring students and managing multiple projects.
60% of Time the Engineering Support Manager must:
- Interface regularly with internal and external clients providing project intake information and status updates including timeline, budgets and deliverables.
- Manage operations and scheduling for the Research Machine shop and New Product Development (NPD) operation fabrication activities and associated employees.
- Supervise full time, part-time undergraduate and graduate students performing engineering design, fabrication and repair tasks.
- Recruit and manage new internal and external customers for Engineering Support and the (NPD).
- Support development of a marketing plan to grow internal and external funding for Engineering support.
- Contact and inform university researchers and manufacturing company decision makers of services, capabilities and programs.
- Prepare proposals to researchers and companies for projects responsive to their needs; and, locate appropriate delivery resources and manage work for proposed projects.
- Manage and document employee training on applicable standard operating procedures (SOPs) and safety processes
- Manage financial accounting processes for engineering support operations.
35% of Time the Engineering Support Manager
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Engineering Support Manager
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and requiring wearing hearing protection.
Occasional travel with overnight stays
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.