Job Standard for Environmental Sciences Specialist
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Environmental Sciences Specialist Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 07551
- Pay Grade: J
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 2
- Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function: Environmental Safety
To perform routine environmental studies, monitoring and assessments; perform related work.
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision
Some knowledge of: the scientific methods used in environmental sampling and monitoring.
Experience: collecting, analyzing, and reporting environmental data; interpreting and applying complex written material such as technical manuals and/or regulations. Valid driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Critical thinking skills; using scientific rules and methods to solve problems
- Ability to communicate scientific or technical information through oral briefings, and written documents
60% of Time the Environmental Sciences Specialist must:
- Performs routine air quality, water quality, and/or hazardous waste or related studies, inspections, and assessments; gathers, analyzes data and prepares reports; participates in the identification of sources of pollution and development of corrective or preventive action plans; investigates complaints and prepares documentation of violations and recommends procedures; responds to environmental emergencies; conducts routine sampling, monitoring and surveillance activities; may calibrate and maintain field monitoring instruments.
- Provides information and explanation of requirements, regulations and policies; interprets and applies laws, regulations, policies, and standards; participates in the evaluation and recommendation of technical solutions to environmental problems;
35% of Time the Environmental Sciences Specialist
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Environmental Sciences Specialist
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions are exposed to hazardous substances and inclement weather and baseline and periodic medical monitoring will be required. These positions involve walking over rough terrain while lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
Not applicable for Environmental Sciences Specialist
Environmental Health Specialist 1, other professional positions
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.