Job Standard for Event Services, Senior Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Event Services, Senior Manager Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75173
- Pay Grade: P7
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior Manager
- Family: Communications & Marketing
- Function: Marketing
This position manages the daily operations of University Event Services as well as the processes and services related to the client and guest experience. This position manages, develops and facilitates training for the intake team, while assisting in the development and implementation of marketing plans.
Spends the majority of time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of subordinate staff. Manages experienced professionals who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with autonomy. Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial, and often physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives. Ensures subordinate supervisors and professionals adhere to defined internal controls with a focus on policy and strategy implementation. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets and requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent plus 5 years experience, including 1 year managerial experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong ability to make independent decisions in the best interest of the facility/department.
- Good knowledge of and ability to apply university space policies, event guidelines, risk management policies, contracts and agreements, and standard operating procedures
- Exceptional ability to make quick, rational decisions that balance needs of clients and successful business operations within scope of responsibility.
- Applied knowledge of event scheduling methods, confirmation and contracting documents, event planning, and on-site event management.
- Organization and coordination of complex information, event staff, and event logistics.
- Good computer and digital literacy to work as a high-level customer service representative for event patrons within a complex database style software.
- Advanced command of the English language in oral and written form, applying proper grammar in business and technical writing styles.
- Strongly applied knowledge of client marketing strategies and trends, with ability to develop actionable and measurable marketing plans to support business goals
- Advanced ability to develop and sustain relationships, apply empathy, and manage expectations with a variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds.
60 % of Time Events Services, Senior Manager will:
- Manages daily event intake and allocation process to strategically pace and distribute event requests, clients, and coordination workload
- Assists in annual budget creation process and ongoing budget monitoring, including direct projection and monitoring of annual student employee labor expenses
- Leads office team in conducting annual market research project, generating report of market conditions and recommendations for changes to existing rate structures and fee schedules for event services and space rentals
- Collaborates regularly to improve communications and understanding between service teams, enhance guest experience within event facilities, and ensure accuracy of rental equipment inventory
- Oversees event guest experience; recommends and implements processes and trainings to improve guest experience and customer service; manages Concierge service
- Develops and maintains expert level knowledge of Event Management Service (EMS) event scheduling software, Social Tables diagramming software, and 7 Point Ops operations online platform and instructs others in their use and optimization
- Resolves scheduling conflicts between user groups including state agencies, non-profit organizations, educational associations, student organizations, university departments, and secondary groups associated with university departments
- Manages assessment of client satisfaction with event outcomes as a result of the one stop shop model of event services
- Supervises, hires, schedules, trains, and evaluates University Event Services student employees
- Communicates expectations and provides performance feedback to student employees via 1:1 and team meetings, on the job training, and formal and informal evaluation processes
- Meets with VIP clients to assess needs and provide expert guidance in planning at all stages of an event, i.e., offers client venue tours and previews, providing input on room size and set-up, audiovisual equipment and labor needs, catering services, service styles, etc.
- Applies appropriate fee schedules and rates charged from multi-tiered fee schedules for facilities, audiovisual and other equipment, and miscellaneous fees such as deposits and damage charges and quotes total anticipated cost of event to clients
- Develops and executes University Event Services marketing plan employing print, web, electronic, video, and event-based marketing tactics
- Designs and implements marketing strategies to increase client utilization of online event request process. Leads content development for University Event Services newsletter and other publications
- Serves as University Event Services website administrator, maintaining content and compliance with university web and brand standards
35% of Time Event Services, Senior Manager:
Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Event Services, Senior Manager:
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Not applicable for Event Services, Senior Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.