Job Standard for Executive Assistant, Principal
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Executive Assistant, Principal Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75892
- Pay Grade: P11
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Principal
- Family: General Administration
- Function: Executive Administrative Support
This position provides executive level support and represents a division across campus and community members with a high degree of professionalism and confidentiality. Responsible for setting the tone of professionalism, standards of performance and cooperation among support staff and fosters cooperative relationships and harmonious flow of work between division and other entities across campus. The position manages divisional projects, conducts background research, analyzes information and develops recommendations to inform leadership decisions for a wide range of issues impacting Academic Affairs.
Recognized master in professional discipline with significant impact and influence on campus policy and program development. Establishes critical strategic and operational goals; develops and implements new products, processes, standards or operational plans to achieve strategies. Regularly leads projects of critical importance to the campus; these projects carry substantial consequences of success or failure. Requires significant influence and communication with executive leadership. Problems faced are frequently complex and multidimensional, requiring broad based consideration of variables that impact multiple areas of the organization.
Bachelor’s Degree and 8 years relevant experience or equivalent professional experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Requires detailed knowledge of University programs, policies and procedures.
- Strong ability to work with frequent interruptions and to maintain professional demeanor with substantial workloads, changing and conflicting priorities, deadlines, and demands.
- Ability to work independently on complex and confidential tasks, compose effective and accurate correspondence, and complete non-routine specialized tasks.
- Strong ability to collaborate with others in a team effort to promote the goals of the Provost and the University.
- Good knowledge of State Board of Education policy regarding academic affairs.
- Flexibility, interpersonal skills, and the ability to work effectively with all levels of internal and external constituencies in a professional manner, while maintaining confidentiality of information.
- Strong ability to compile and organize data in a cohesive and informative way in written, numerical, and graphical formats.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to analyze situations and make appropriate decisions independently.
- Demonstrated time management skills to plan, manage, and coordinate Provost’s Office activities and major functions.
- Demonstrated appropriate workplace behavior with a high degree of integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
60% of Time the Executive Assistant, Principal must:
- Manage communication and scheduling activities for executives, ensuring effective time management and prioritization of schedule using appropriate judgment to adjust as necessary.
- Prepare reports, memos, letters, presentations and other documents, help prepare for meetings.
- Coordinate and arrange logistics, complete travel authorizations and expense reimbursements.
- Develop and manage special project assignments as requested.
- Provide project leadership and coordination for Academic Affairs initiatives.
- Provide management and coordination of faculty recruitment, promotion and tenure, and periodic faculty review processes.
- Provide management and coordination of special course fee requests, including audit compliance and reporting.
- Provide project leadership and coordination (work plans, timelines, implementation strategies, and logistics) for campus and community events, receptions, and large-scale high profile events including Commencement.
- Review and refer or resolve complex and sensitive problems and concerns from internal and external constituencies, including employees, students, State Board of Education members and other state policy makers and their staffs.
- Interpret policies and procedures, making decisions on specific operating problems and issuing instructions, draft confidential policy and project proposals.
35% of Time the Executive Assistant, Principal
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Executive Assistant, Principal
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Campus and various external sites, office environment
Not applicable for Executive Assistant, Principal
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.