Job Standard for Executive Assistant, Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Executive Assistant, Senior Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75837
- Pay Grade: P9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: General Administration
- Function: Executive Administrative Support
This position provides executive level support and represents a division across campus and community members with a high degree of professionalism and confidentiality. Responsible for setting the tone of professionalism, standards of performance and cooperation among support staff and fosters cooperative relationships and harmonious flow of work between division and other entities across campus. The position manages divisional projects, conducts background research, analyzes information and develops recommendations to inform leadership decisions for a wide range of issues impacting Academic Affairs.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of areas typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years relevant experience or equivalent professional experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Requires detailed knowledge of University programs, policies and procedures.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and to maintain professional demeanor with substantial workloads, changing and conflicting priorities, deadlines, and demands.
- Ability to work independently on complex and confidential tasks, compose effective and accurate correspondence, and complete non-routine specialized tasks.
- Ability to collaborate with others in a team effort to promote the goals of the Provost and the University.
- Knowledge of State Board of Education policy regarding academic affairs.
- Flexibility, interpersonal skills, and the ability to work effectively with all levels of internal and external constituencies in a professional manner, while maintaining confidentiality of information.
- Ability to compile and organize data in a cohesive and informative way in written, numerical, and graphical formats.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to analyze situations and make appropriate decisions independently.
- Demonstrated time management skills to plan, manage, and coordinate Provost’s Office activities and major functions.
- Demonstrated appropriate workplace behavior with a high degree of integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
60% of Time the Executive Assistant, Senior must:
- Manage communication and scheduling activities for executives, ensuring effective time management and prioritization of schedule using appropriate judgment to adjust as necessary.
- Brief the Executive prior to meeting and appointments; provide pertinent background materials and context as needed.
- Prepare reports, memos, letters, presentations and other documents, help prepare for meetings.
- Provide regular updated on Academic Affairs and university matters
- Coordinate and arrange logistics, complete travel authorizations and expense reimbursements.
- Develop and manage special project assignments as requested.
- Provide project leadership and coordination for Academic Affairs initiatives.
- Provide management and coordination of faculty recruitment, promotion and tenure, and periodic faculty review processes.
- Provide management and coordination of special course fee requests, including audit compliance and reporting.
- Provide project leadership and coordination (work plans, timelines, implementation strategies, and logistics) for campus and community events, receptions, and large-scale high profile events including Commencement.
- Review and refer or resolve complex and sensitive problems and concerns from internal and external constituencies, including employees, students, State Board of Education members and other state policy makers and their staffs.
- Interpret policies and procedures, making decisions on specific operating problems and issuing instructions, draft confidential policy and project proposals.
35% of Time the Executive Assistant, Senior
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Executive Assistant, Senior
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Campus and various external sites, office environment
Not applicable for Executive Assistant, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.