Job Standard for Executive Assistant to the President
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Executive Assistant to the President Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75476
- Pay Grade: P11
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: General Administration
- Function: Executive Administrative Support
This position provides executive level administrative support for the President and the President’s Office represents a division across campus and community members. Responsible for setting the tone of professionalism, standards of performance and cooperation among support staff and fosters cooperative relationships and harmonious flow of work between division and other entities across campus.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of areas typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years experience or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Highly collaborative
- Strong organizational, project management and problem-solving skills with impeccable multi-tasking abilities. Ability to anticipate needs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, high degree of diplomacy.
- Ability to research, organize and synthesize information and materials from multiple sources.
- Advanced Microsoft Office and Google Workspace skills.
- Highly collaborative and willing to work in close partnership with the President’s Deputy Chief of Staff on all matters relating to the president’s office.
- Ability to meet project deadlines while adapting to immediate demands.
60% of Time the Executive Assistant to the President must:
- In collaboration with Deputy Chief of Staff
- Executive Calendaring and Daily Support
○ Facilitating the President’s scheduling process. This entails substantial knowledge of the President’s style and requires determining, in consultation with the Chief of Staff, which inquiries should be addressed by the President and which should be deferred to someone else at the University, evaluating the time needed to complete appointments or Presidential tasks, anticipating time commitments for future projects requiring President’s review and work time, and understanding the sensitivity associated with commitments to the President’s time. Also requires knowledge of internal and external stakeholders seeking access to the President.
○ All Scheduling Requests come into email@example.com
○ Daily, weekly monthly review of every calendared appointment for attendee, location, agenda and other details on the President’s calendar. Foresight of appointments and food needs.
○ Schedule personal appointments
○ Preparation of agendas for meetings
○ Researching and preparing meeting preparation, i.e. attendee briefs
○ Monitors University, organization, city, state schedule for President’s attendance, i.e. City events, Governor’s State of the State address, JFAC presentation and presentations to the House and Senate Education committees.
○ Work with athletics, advancement, event planning and comm/marketing to plan events such as fill the football suites, concert venues, Idaho Shakespeare events, etc. Work on invitations and delivery of tickets.
- Coordinating with Communications and Marketing for preparation of speeches and scheduling upcoming events and keynotes.
- Coordinating with the Advancement Office for events and donor relations. Meets bi-weekly with the Advancement team to discuss cards, letters, lunches/meetings with donors. Helps to coordinate the President’s Business Advisory Council.
- Management of Travel Arrangements. Travel knowledge of university travel and budget systems and customer service. accommodations, airline reservations, etc. for trips for the President and ensuring his travel and regular business expenses are processed in a timely fashion.
- Manages President email
- General Executive Office Administrative Duties ○ Coordinates meetings and events for the President’s Office, which may include catering, travel, registration, meeting rooms, audiovisual equipment, etc. Meetings could include visits by foreign dignitaries, special interest groups, accreditation teams, State Board members, legislators, state and federal officials, university and community organizations, faculty, staff, students, parents, etc.
○ May field complaints brought to the President’s Office. This includes working closely with the Chief of Staff to research a wide variety of issues and situations and working with campus depts to trouble-shoot/resolve issues.
○ Answers questions and/or refers callers to other individuals or debts based on knowledge of university policies and procedures.
○ Coordinates conference planning, luncheons, workshops, special projects, etc., working with community as well as Boise State entities.
○ May draft, review for grammatical and punctuation correctness, and finalize documents such as memos, letters, papers, speeches, and reports as requested by the President.
○ May draft confidential documents such as reports to the State Board of Education, letters regarding personnel matters, letters to elected officials, and other educational institutions for the President.
- Manage communication and scheduling activities for executive, ensuring effective time management and prioritization of schedule using appropriate judgment to adjust as necessary
- Review and refer or resolve complex and sensitive problems and concerns from internal and external constituencies, including employees, students, State Board of Education members and other state policy makers and their staffs
- Interpret policies and procedures, making decisions on specific operating problems and issuing instructions, draft confidential policy and project proposals.
- Prepare reports, memos, letters, presentations and other documents, help prepare for meetings
35% of Time the Executive Assistant to the President
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Executive Assistant to the President
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This position is generally in a normal indoor office setting with minimal noise levels and may involve bending, moving, lifting, and carrying materials that weigh up to 15 pounds.
Not applicable for Executive Assistant to the President
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.