Job Standard for Executive Staff Specialist, Associate
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Executive Staff Specialist, Associate Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75859
- Pay Grade: P4
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Associate
- Family: Administration
- Function: Executive Administrative Support
This position will provide daily administrative and operational support. This position requires excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with individuals in all positions, both internal and external to the university. It requires a detailed knowledge of organization’s operations, organizational procedures, and personnel.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent relevant professional experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience of event scheduling methods, facility use agreements, and event planning processes.
- Problem solving skills involving groups and/or events.
- Ability to generate, cultivate and maintain relationships with high level of communication skills with many individuals including coworkers, students, executives, community members, etc. They must also maintain a high level of communication skills and the ability to work well with many people with the ability to problem solve, and perform conflict resolution.
- Ability to work closely with all constituents involved in a university community.
- Experience working with high level executives, so as to understand the level of responsibility required to support a university executive.
- Ability to work independently, apply good judgment, use discretion, resolve conflicts, articulate professionally in writing and in speech, be flexible and re-prioritize.
- Must possess problem solving skills and have extraordinary organizational skills.
- Strong working understanding of PowerPoint, Excel, Word and additional presentation applications.
- Proven experience in confidentiality matters, which impacts oneself and others.
60% of Time the Executive Staff Specialist, Associate:
- Coordinate and maintain a calendar for meetings, travel arrangements and registrations.
- Requires application of public relations skills in dealing with a variety of internal and external constituents.
- Coordinates meetings for staff. This includes travel, catering, registration, meeting rooms, audiovisual equipment, etc. Determine relevant supporting materials needed for meetings and provide as required.
- Determines groups and individuals that require access to executive staff. In conjunction with staff, prioritizes requests for time and reorganizes or reschedules commitments in response to priority requests or needs while leveraging executive time for maximum efficiency and effectiveness.
- Demonstrates excellent organizational skills and attention to detail for planning and implementing events. Determine and arrange set-up, event location, decorations, menus, A/V needs, invitations, advertising, etc. to ensure an appropriate environment for high profile events, programs and guests.
- Arranges travel accommodations, airline reservations, itineraries, etc. for trips.
- First line of communication for the executive: Answers questions and/or refers callers to other individuals or departments based on knowledge of university athletic policies and procedures.
- Letters and correspondence creation for the executive. Types drafts, reviews for grammatical and punctuation correctness, and finalizes documents such as memos, letters, confidential information, presentations, and technical reports as requested.
35% of Time the Executive Staff Specialist, Associate
5% of Time the Executive Staff Specialist, Associate
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Ability to travel
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business needs, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.