Job Standard for Extended Studies, Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Extended Studies, Director Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75038
- Pay Grade: P13
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Director
- Family: Academic Programs
- Function: Instructional Services
Provide strategic direction for many of Extended Studies’ credit and noncredit outreach activities and a key member of the Extended Studies leadership team.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.
Bachelor’s degree plus 8 years relevant professional experience including 5 years managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A proven record of leadership and team building in the field of higher education
- At least 3 years of professional experience developing and managing a successful adult and continuing education program
- Experience administering non credit professional development programs is preferred
- Experience developing and implementing strategic plans
- Demonstrated ability to be entrepreneurial and to successfully develop and administer self-supporting programs.
- Experience developing and managing budgets
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders and to develop and maintain partnerships
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and in teams
60% of Time the Extended Studies, Director must:
- Work with academic department chairs to develop, implement, and provide ongoing support for educational outreach programs responsive to the needs of working adults.
- Determine market demand for adult programs and design responsive programs in collaboration with the academic units.
- Assess the effectiveness of outreach programs and alter strategies as indicated.
- Provide strategic and operational oversight of off-campus centers including those at Mountain Home, Gowen Field, Twin Falls, Canyon County and Micron Technology.
- Oversee operational facets of off-campus sites including staffing, budgeting, enrollment planning, support services, etc.
- Oversee all aspects of the fiscal, business development and strategic planning for the Center for Professional Development
- Assist the dean in the operation of the Division of Extended Studies by assuming projects, representing the dean on University committees and meetings. Act for the dean in the dean’s absence.
- Establish and sustain a system of continuous process improvement to increase efficiency, improve customer service and develop programs to meet emerging needs.
35% of Time the Extended Studies, Director
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Extended Studies, Director
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Ability to drive to businesses, agencies and other institutions to meet with stakeholders.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.