Job Standard for Facilities Operations & Maintenance, Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Facilities Operations & Maintenance, Director Overview
Work Type: Professional
Job Code: 75134
Pay Grade: P14
FLSA Status: Exempt
Career Level: Director
Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
Function: Facilities Operation Services
This position exists to administer and direct the operations and maintenance of state funded facilities structures, equipment, grounds, utility systems, streets and hardscapes owned by the university. In addition, this position administers various support activities such as minor construction projects, central receiving, surplus property, moving and hauling, motor pool, and the campus recycling program
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.
Bachelor’s degree and 8 years experience including 5 years managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Substantial technical and administrative skills and knowledge, including cost management, risk management and computerized maintenance management systems
- Experience in developing and managing a substantial budget in a university or other large organization. This includes the ability to create and evaluate analytical approaches and financial models for use in resource allocation.
- Comprehensive knowledge of all phases of physical plant operations, maintenance and repair
- Organizational development and leadership skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge in planning, scheduling, supervision of a large facilities management organization.
- Effective interpersonal skills and strong written and verbal communication skills
60% of Time the Facilities Operations & Maintenance, Director
- Provide for the continuous and reliable operation of university facilities and equipment.
- Oversee the proper maintenance of campus building, equipment and grounds
- Ensure that all requests for services are addressed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ensure department compliance with federal, state, and local statutes and regulations.
- Participate in the university’s capital planning process
- Coordinate the establishment of department goals and objectives and set overall priorities. Plan for short and long term needs of the department.
- Develop and administer the annual department budget. Monitor and benchmark department activities to ensure that resources are being utilized efficiently and effectively.
- Communicate with the university community to determine if their facility related needs are being met and the quality of department services are to their satisfaction.
- Work with other university departments to identify means of consolidating resources and efforts to the overall benefit of the university
- Supervision of other employees; responsible for hiring, completing performance evaluations, setting goals, scheduling, making work assignments and approval of all disciplinary actions.
35% of Time the Facilities Operations & Maintenance, Director
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Facilities Operations & Maintenance, Director
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Facilities Operations & Maintenance, Director
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.