Job Standard for Facility Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Facility Manager Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75319
- Pay Grade: P9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior Manager
- Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function: Facilities Operations Services
To provide personnel management, internal project management and facility management functions for a college or division. Serve as building coordinator; provide project management and reporting for facilities, construction, maintenance, leasing, and remodel projects.
Spends the majority of time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of subordinate staff. Manages experienced professionals who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with autonomy. Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial, and often physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives. Ensures subordinate supervisors and professionals adhere to defined internal controls with a focus on policy and strategy implementation. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets and requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area.
Bachelor’s Degree plus 5 years relevant experience including 1 years managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent personnel and project management and team building skills
- Knowledge of construction and contracting processes
- Proven ability to interact professionally with diverse personnel base and work with conflicting priorities created within the organization.
- Effective communication skills with students, staff, faculty and campus administration
- Knowledge of government regulations, product and marketing knowledge, specialized process knowledge, problem solving skills, customer knowledge, computer literacy, etc.
- Budget management
60% of Time the Facility Manager must:
- Coordinate with FO&M and AES, providing project and budget reports as required. Coordinate with campus wide resources and departments to facilitate planning and implementation of facilities projects important to the mission of the university.
- Hire, manage, train, and support staff.
- Direct the internal development of project goals, work plans, timelines, and implementation strategies.
- Direct the identification of decision-making issues, key stakeholders, development and implementation of strategies to encourage and obtain stakeholder and/or community support, and identification of project partners all within established campus procedures.
- Manage building access. Assure a safe work environment for all employees, students and visitors.
- Work with internal and external agencies to facilitate successful completion of projects and serve as a spokesperson for the facility.
- Develop and implement short- and long-range plans to improve the physical environment of the facilities; identify, schedule, and monitor capital projects.
- Maintain compliance with all university, state and department procedures/policies regarding emergency preparedness, ADA accessibility, and local state building codes.
- Collaborate with the Business Manager to prepare and present a yearly operations budget.
35% of Time the Facility Manager
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Facility Manager
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Facility Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.