Job Standard for Facility Operations Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Facility Operations Manager Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75136
- Pay Grade: P7
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Manager
- Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function: Facilities Operation Services
This position has the responsibility and oversight of facilities management and project construction, including maintenance, trades, custodial, and grounds for a division or college building(s). Serves as lead for capital project management and related projects. Supervises staff including student employees. Manages facility services, custodial services, safety and security programs.
Provides direct supervision typically to professionals or skilled technical employees at the entry or intermediate level. Functions as advisor to unit and administration and sets goals and objectives for team members for achievement of operational results. Analyzes and resolves problems through drawing from prior experiences. Interprets policies (e.g., fiscal management, HR, contracts and grants, resource management in defined areas) and demonstrates solid subject matter knowledge. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and policies to determine appropriate action. Supervises staff to assure accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental goals and objectives.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent plus 2 years relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of group dynamics, conflict resolution skills necessary for training, problem solving, etc.
- Knowledge of accounting and finance necessary to develop and interpret department reports.
- Experience in managing budgets, estimate project or equipment costs.
- Ability to manage large multi-use facilities or housing spaces
- Experience supervising, hiring, training, scheduling, progressive discipline, and evaluating multiple staff and/or teams of staff
- Knowledge of facilities maintenance and custodial needs and services
60% of Time the Facility Operations Manager
- Directly manages the supervisory staff responsible for facility services, including housing or event and meeting production, housekeeping services and building projects.
- Develops and approves the operating procedures for housekeeping and facilities.
- Has administrator responsibility for evening and weekend managers
- Responsible for department training, recognition, and performance management, provide feedback and approve evaluations working directly with each department supervisor.
- Coordinates, plans, and supervises building construction projects, equipment replacement, furniture replacement and facility upgrades.
- May oversee inspection of residence halls and apartments, assess furnishing and equipment needs.
35% of Time the Facility Operations Manager
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Facility Operations Manager
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
May have travel
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.