Job Standard for Finance Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Finance Director Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75447
- Pay Grade: P11
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Director
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Finance
The purpose of this position is to assist in fiscal leadership with budget development and management, operation coordination, and decision making of budgetary and financial services. Supervise the accounting and related financial services including financial report generation and analysis.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches. Reports to an Assistant Vice President, Vice President or Dean.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent plus 8 years’ experience in similar work, including 5 years managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of budget development and monitoring
- Working knowledge and experience with financial reporting and auditing
- Knowledge of supervisory and personnel management practices
- Ability to interpret and train financial policies, procedures and practices
60% of Time the Finance Director must:
- Provides a leadership role in the development of annual budgets. Coordinates use of spreadsheet support for budget monitoring by other senior management staff. Conducts internal audits for the purpose of ensuring program operations are within budget and in accordance with fiscal practices.
- Develop, analyze and interpret key performance metrics and statistical financial and accounting information in order to evaluate operating results in terms of efficiency and performance. Develops financial procedures and controls.
- Facilitates meetings and workshops to meet interdepartmental or college needs for the purpose of identifying issues and developing recommendations. Serve as a division/college representative.
- Designs and develops financial report formats which provide critical financial information not available with standard university reports. Provide fiscal year cash flow projections, produce and review labor and monthly departmental summary reports.
- Review results of operations to identify trends and correct problems. Develop and maintain long-term financial and planning model for department
- Serve as a member of the leadership team. Manage and supervise staff.
35% of Time the Finance Director
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Finance Director
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Finance Director
Executive Director position
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.