Job Standard for Finance Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Finance Manager Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75228
- Pay Grade: P9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Finance
This position will manage the financial and budget systems and processes, including accounting and budgeting. Assists with strategic financial planning and forecasting for systems, human resource, operations, and technology, leading to insightful, accurate business decision-making.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent plus 5 years’ experience in similar work
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of budget development and monitoring
- Working knowledge and experience with financial reporting and auditing
- Knowledge of supervisory and personnel management practices
- Ability to interpret and train financial policies, procedures and practices
60% of Time the Finance Manager must:
- Provides a leadership role in the development of annual budgets. Develop and maintain accounting systems, prepare complex financial documents, and handle difficult or sensitive financial matters.
- Oversee contract administration, plan and review financial operations, develops plans for human resource and capital acquisitions, providing fiscal leadership.
- Facilitates meetings and workshops to meet departmental or college needs for the purpose of identifying financial and budget issues and training for unit leaders.
- Develops financial reports, analyzes data, provides consultation on tools, process flows, policies and procedures. Review labor and monthly departmental budget and finance summary reports. Analyze technical financial problems and provide professional assistance and advice concerning their solutions.
- Manage department funds, liaison with other campus departments on finance, budget or human capital processes and controls, requests or issues. Enforce policies and compliance and work through challenging situations.
- Serve as a member of the leadership team. Some positions may supervise the staff and activities of a financial unit.
35% of Time the Finance Manager
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Finance Manager
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Finance Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.