Job Standard for Financial Aid Counselor, Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Financial Aid Counselor, Senior Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75848
- Pay Grade: P7
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Student Services
- Function: Financial Aid
This position includes responsibilities of a Financial Aid Counselor, plus additional responsibilities specific to a Senior Financial Aid Counselor that require advanced knowledge of financial aid rules, regulations, and processes, and prior professional experience within the financial aid profession and with supervision. Also acts as a mentor to other professional staff within the Financial Aid department.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience, plus 5 years professional experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Advance knowledge of financial aid rules, regulations and processes.
- Ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense
- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices
- Attention to detail
60% of Time the Financial Aid Counselor, Senior must:
- Advise and counsel students and families on the financial aid process, unique circumstances for individual applicants, and options for funding a college education
- Evaluate and review financial aid awards, process documents, respond to student requests
- Lead individual team of frontline staff members
- Design and produce training programs for frontline staff members
- Strategize and implement methods to raise client services to best practices and benchmarks
- Identify the needs of the client services team
- Mentor financial aid counselors, frontline staff members, and student employees
- Oversee all aspects of the Satisfactory Academic Progress program, including review process after each semester, appeal processing, and training for appeals committee/academic advisors/department staff members/
- Make independent adjustments to a student’s financial aid profile within federal and state regulations and the use of professional judgment.
35% of Time the Financial Aid Counselor, Senior
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Financial Aid Counselor, Senior
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Financial Aid Counselor, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.