Job Standard for Financial Executive Officer
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Financial Executive Officer Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75276
- Pay Grade: P13
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Executive Director
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Finance
Responsible for providing strong financial leadership ensuring effective financial management and control. Administering, organizing and supervising business operational support.
Directs through subordinate Managers multiple large and complex critical programs impacting
broad constituencies across major portions of campus. Identifies objectives, manages very significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with an extremely high degree of autonomy. Accountable for formulating and administering policies and programs for major functions.
Operational or program results can affect overall campus wide performance and reputation. Directs through subordinate Managers the development of strategic goals and objectives to achieve accountability and stewardship of university resources in a manner consistent with campus and system wide objectives and initiatives.
Bachelor’s Degree or 8 years’ experience including 5 years managerial experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong ability to organize and motivate staff
- Advanced knowledge and experience of accounting procedures and practices.
- Extensive experience in financial analysis and budget management.
- Broad knowledge and experience of accounting procedures and practices, with demonstrated experience in financial report and budget preparation.
- Considerable experience in cash management and fund accounting practices.
- Advanced experience in use and analysis of accounting software and applications.
- This position is expected to have the ability to generate, cultivate and maintain business relationships with the corporate community, maintain a high level of communication skills and the ability to work well with many people.
- Strong leadership and communication skills
60% of the Time the Financial Executive Officer must:
- Direct financial operations, organizational operations, projects, or services.
- Oversee the completion of all internal and external audits.
- Manage special projects as assigned that impact the department’s business operations.
- Serve as a member of the senior management team in developing the overall direction for the department, including annual budgets, periodic financial reports, and long-term strategic plans.
- Supports individuals and teams in process excellence, project management, problem-solving,
and value creation to drive toward required outcomes. Serves as capacity, pacing, resourcing, and any other issues requiring leadership attention.
- Develops and maintains long-term financial and planning models for the department
including capital planning of the use of reserves, and operating/business plan, revenue forecasts and plans for fee increases.
- Compiles data from a wide variety of sources for the purpose of analyzing issues, reporting,
ensuring compliance with organization policies and procedures and prepares financial analysis of department operations.
- Develops and implements clear communications within the department and stakeholders to
support efficient processes and procedures.
- Provides expertise, training, and support to improve understanding of financial data, policies, procedures, and internal controls.
- Presents findings and recommendations to top executives and leadership teams; prepares financial reports and briefing materials that summarize auditor and financial analyst reports, balance sheets, and regulatory reports and filings.
- Develops and implements strong internal controls over financial resources and ensures that
all financial transactions, systems, and procedures comply with regulations, accounting principles, and standards.
35% of Time the Financial Executive Officer Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Financial Executive Officer Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and requiring wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Financial Executive Officer
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.